Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#273957 04/05/12 10:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought the show was more active than in the recent past. There were a lot of nice doubles at several of the large dealers tables and a few at scattered individual tables. I sold
a couple of moderate priced doubles and to please my wife I bought NO gun. I did , however buy a nice Redhead case for my 16 ga M 21.
And to add to my trip we visited and had dinner with Joe Wood and his wife Sandi.
[img:left][/img]

Last edited by Stallones; 04/05/12 10:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that the Saturday crowd was up from past years, but I had the impression of more "junk" tables as well. Also, the exhibitors were sticking around after set-up on Friday instead of just covering and leaving.

Steve
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I bought a 12" hotdog which at fairground prices darned near broke me and that was all. Friday, after I finished helping a dealer set up, I walked around and saw a number of nice doubles but nothing I just couldn't live without. Saturday's crowd was stifling. It was difficult to move down the aisles so I just stuck around George Caswell's tables and watched the world pass by. I had the feeling potential buyers of high quality were holding back.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting guy, that John R. Lauritzen.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It seems that John Lauritzen was thought to be the first Visa card initiator.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My long time shooting buddy and I used to go to every show....now the long lines.....crowded aisles....stupid prices....are less than appealing. We shot a 200 bird SC tourney instead.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
My long time shooting buddy and I used to go to every show....now the long lines.....crowded aisles....stupid prices....are less than appealing. We shot a 200 bird SC tourney instead.

As these shows have shifted over the years from primarily collector venues with individuals displaying primarily to buy and sell amongst themselves to a venue dominted by dealers simply out to make as much money as possible they have become increasingly less desirable. I will still attend* but have been buying less and less. IMO: If it hadn't been for a lot of buying of black weapons by those concerned about the current state of the Country gun shows would have largly become ghost shows.
Jim
*It's become largly a social thing for me.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Memorial bio from Princeton University alumni publication.

PAW Home > Memorials > John R. Lauritzen
John R. Lauritzen '40
Published in Mar. 13, 2002, issue
John died at his Omaha, Neb., home on July 21, 2000, from health problems stemming from a stroke in 1996.

John was a native of Minneapolis, preparing for Princeton at the Blake School. At Princeton, he earned numerals on the hockey team, was a member of Cottage Club, and roomed with Ted Nevins and Ralph Wyer.

Early in life John showed an aptitude for sports, competing in the hockey Junior Olympics. He was a lifelong golfer, hunter, and fisherman; in his later Omaha years, he "saw red" as a loyal U. of Nebraska fan. Princeton shared his loyalties, benefiting from his service as PAA-PC treasurer and president.

In Omaha at the age of 29, he was reported to be the youngest bank president in the US, growing the First Natl. of Omaha from $100 million to over $11 billion in assets. He started the First Charge Card in 1953 (later to become Visa). Other bankers described John "as a pioneer in the credit-card business, one of the founding fathers, a key supporter of economic development."

John is survived by his wife of 61 years, Libby, son Bruce '65, daughter Anne Pape, and five grandchildren. The class extends its belated condolences to his family.

The Class of 1940

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 04/06/12 10:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones;You're close to being right.John Lauritzen's Bank,the First National Bank of Omaha initiated one of the nation's first Bank Charge Card.It was called First Charge and whileI can't say for sure that it was the first to do so,I do know that The First National was among the first five Banks in the country to do so.I wasn't there at the very very first but I did work as in that part of the Bank as part of the Bank tour whenI first went to work there in 1960,The operation had been in business for some time before that.
Best to All
Distel

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.