April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 1,085 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
4 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#271191 03/17/12 11:45 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How many out there actualy use leg of mutton case to store and or transport their double gun?

I have several because the look appealed to me but when I fly its heavy aluminum and foam, and in my truck it's a carpeted gun box. i see the Huey case, which are awesome, but I am unsure I would use it to transport the gun

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never use LOM cases........

Unless wrapped in towels, the barrels and wood usually move around a bit and you end up with rub marks......JMO

I think people buy them just for the 'look' and not the efficiency......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 3 or 4. I like the look and used to use them, but found they are simply too much trouble in the field.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I brought in two Manufrance period cases from Paris to house my and my friend's Ideals. I use them and a Roosevelt/Drake buffalo hide LOM for vehicle transport to the field, then switch to a softcase after the gun is assembled for transport during hunting.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I put my hammer gun in an old but rigid LOM case and chucked it on the plane to South Africa and on to Botswana. Arrived all in good shape.

In London.I strap an old LOM case to the back of my Harley and deliver guns to gunmakers and clients all over and around the city.

I love them. they are discreet, cool and cheap.

They are for transporting guns, not for use in the field as an alternative to a gun slip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An airplane may be an extreme case (get it?) but I love using my old LOM cases for transport. Even the more modern ones isolate the components well and I've not noticed any difficulties with rubbing marks. I've had some friends who like their gun slips in this configuration between drives...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 3 LOMs which I have restored and one that I had made made to order. Great for transport in a car trunk with other luggage or for a bit of discretion when taking a gun through a public place such as our monthly Vintager dinner in the back private room of a local pub.

I found the key to piece of mind when using them to transport fine guns is to use the short gun sock sets sold by CSMC or those that are provided by companies like AYA with new gun purchases. I had the new one I ordered lined with leather rather than felt as the felt gets worn and tattered quickly and the soft sock sets provide the rub protection you need.

Dr. P

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the tip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Love 'em. They're practical, classy, and compact. Downsides are most on the market are fairly old and the leather has deteoriated to varying degrees. I've had to repair most of mine. Fortunately I do my own leather work--many leather shops won't work on them.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't imagine too many guns would complain about being carried aroud in one of these:

Cochrane

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.