March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many vintage American guns that I am familiar with were built with with full and full chokes, probably because of the popularity of waterfowl hunting and trap shooting. When these guns and their full chokes were made, there were no plastic shot cups. Today, a great deal of high quality ammunition - lead, bismuth, Nice shot and perhaps other soft no-tox ammo suitable for vintage guns - is made with plastic shot cups. Have any of you used ammo with plastic shot cups in your vintage full choke barrels, for example duck hunting with Nice shot or bismuth? If so, are you comfortable that the plastic shot cup leave the muzzle without negative impact on the chokes or barrels?

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many thousands of rounds of plastic cupped lead shot through vintage full chokes with no bad experiences. The plastic does build up at the choke though.

16 gauge Parker choked full and full - 3,000 rounds in Argentina.

12 gauge Parker VH choked full and full - Shot 19 rounds of trap with it yesterday (7/8oz), several thousand since I bought it.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/15/12 11:04 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My old Parkers, LCS gather less plastic than my new Briley Ultimate tube set

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RichardBrewster
Many vintage American guns that I am familiar with were built with with full and full chokes, probably because of the popularity of waterfowl hunting and trap shooting. When these guns and their full chokes were made, there were no plastic shot cups. Today, a great deal of high quality ammunition - lead, bismuth, Nice shot and perhaps other soft no-tox ammo suitable for vintage guns - is made with plastic shot cups. Have any of you used ammo with plastic shot cups in your vintage full choke barrels, for example duck hunting with Nice shot or bismuth? If so, are you comfortable that the plastic shot cup leave the muzzle without negative impact on the chokes or barrels?

My 870 and 1100 trap guns have .038 and .037 constriction same as many of my classic doubleguns + or - a few thou. I too have shot thousands of rounds through classic doubles, all with shotcups and no issues what so ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

About 10 years ago I was trap shooting using #7 steel shot in a 12 gauge Stevens 5100 with absolutely no il effects to the bores.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks very much for the helpful feedback.

Rich

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rich, I wish you had not brought that question up. I've been shooting Bismuth Classic 4's and 5's in my old Parkers and Foxes with full choke for years and never considered that it might be a problem.

For whatever my experience might be worth, I've noticed no damage whatever, but I do keep the plastic build-up cleaned out of the barrels pretty consistantly...Geo

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some personal observations based on experience and guns examined & seen for sale at shows:

I don't think you have concern for choke damage w/full choke constrictions IF you stick to modern loads, even w/steel shot [much tougher plastic & better designs in the newer steel shot wads] & shot sizes of size 4 or smaller. Having said that, I would NEVER shoot anything but lead shot or bismuth in an FN or any of the older German guns [or any high grade gun for that matter] for the simple reason that I have seen and examined several that had their Full chokes bulged, presumably from the use of hard steel shot. It may have been too large shot as well, but I had no way of determining that as these are mostly guns that were for sale at shows I am speaking of. I have also seen guns w/heavily scored bbls. in the form of straight line striations [think crude straight rifling] from early steel shot loads where the pellets penetrated the wads' petals or wall. Again, I have no way of knowing the exact loads used to do that damage; it could have even been some enterprising sort who was using BB gun BB's w/regular lead shot wads! There was sufficient talk & discussion when steel first came into use to know wad petal penetration occured w/some early factory ammunition & recovery of some of those wads confirmed it. Too, some some pellets were overly hard & some early wads left exposed shot above the petals .. so I would avoid using any early or old steel ammuntion in any gun I was remotely concerned about, period. An 870 Express Magnum, Mossburg 500 or any of the inexpensive modern purpose built waterfowl guns can eat that stuff w/impunity. FWIW, I have an older 870 Wingmaster w/fixed Full choke constriction of .041 that has digested around ten flats [50 boxes of 25 cartridges] of 2&3/4" Steel #4 loads made by Remington, Federal & Winchester w/o any sign of damage whatsoever. I'm not suggesting you do that with your valued doubles, but a Browning BSS [Miroku mfg.] choked F&F can handle factory steel loads up to size 4 w/no fear & so can some other more modern doubles. I have shot 1&1/4oz. of Remington & Federal steel 4's through a 3" 12ga. Beretta 686 w/factory flush fitting 'Mod' screw-in chokes repeatedly to no ill effect & they remain easy to remove for cleaning or switching.

As to the shooting of lead shot target ammo w/plastic wads through full choke constrictions, none of us will have the opportunity to be around long enough to measure any wear or see any damage from it. Think ATA trap shooting .. Full chokes for the most part & endless shooting. They do OTHER stuff to damage their guns;-)

In summary, plastic used in wads is 'softer' than lead, don't sweat it's use.

Perhaps something here to help allay your concerns.

kind regards, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fellow posting on another site who lives close to the ocean talked about shooting several ducks and having them "explode". Later examination of his steel shot shells (left over from past seasons) revealed that saltwater had gotten into the shot and the steel pellets had literally rusted into large lumps. He didn't post whether or not it had damaged his gun barrel.
Something to think about when using old steel shot shells.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/15/12 01:29 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I build my shotshells using the shot cup but not the entire shot wad. I do place a 1/4 inch dry felt wad and a 1/4 inch lubed wad and then the shot cup in that order. I do not get a plastic build up with this method.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.