April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, gunman), 317 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,975
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Susie, a 1925 featherweight L.C Smith 16 ga. waits as I ready my "stuff". She has 32" barrels choked F/F, a Hunter single trigger and ejectors. Quite a mouthful for a lowly Field Grade.

With the Judas birds in place atop the center pivot above and behind us............

We sit down to wait for some action............

Susie and I got to the field late, after most of the doves had come in to feed, but one group of four did swing by to take a close look at their betrayers on the center pivot and then headed straight away. We took one going away with her right and one with her left, two fer two. A couple more flights came by but either got the sun on me or slipped by as I was looking another direction, sooooo, we didn't have many to dress for the freezer. But, we enjoyed our afternoon together all the same. The lovely Ms. Jean has not an inkling about our secret rendezvous, but I really don't think she would mind at all.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures Stan. The decoys on top of the irrigation work like champs, don't they. Have you ever noticed that the birds rarely fly under the center pivot? Geese and ducks don't like to fly under a high tension power line either.

I saw a new one one a recent shoot down here; the guy used a surf casting rod to hoist a spinner and a few standard decoys over the non-electrified high wire crossing the field. The decoys all hung upside down on monofilament lines but still looked convincing, and the doves homed in on the set-up from all over the field.

I wonder if the doves will figure out the mojos the way the ducks have come to avoid or ignore the robo-decoys??? I'm getting tired of the things myself; the doves always dive low at the spinner creating a dangerous shooting situation and watching half a dozen of them in a field makes me dizzy. Anyhow, it looks like you and Susie had a nice day afield, thanks for sharing...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures and a beautiful long legged lady.

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geo.,

I've used the dove over the power line trick for years, too. I think it works even better than the mojo, which we've been using for about 7-8 years. The bottom line on the overheads are always neutral, as you said, regardless of whether it's a single phase or three phase. You can put screw-eyes in the backs of the decoys and tie your fishing line to it and the dove hangs upright, though underneath the line, which doesn't matter to them at all. I've seen them light literally within inches of the dekes. The mojos work occasionally. When I first started using them, and no one else had 'em, they were amazing, but certainly are frustrating when they cause the birds to come in "on the deck". You're absolutely right about them flying under a pivot, they never do it.

I was down your way yesterday, went with my son to Moultrie to look at a cotton picker, and noticed that it is terribly dry there, as it is here. I try to "make lemonade out of life's lemons", and remembered that we can get some really good shooting at little waterholes with a mojo when it's this dry. Maybe next time we'll have more birds in the pictures.

Thanks, Mike. Those long-legged ladies "get me going". I know you like'em, too.

Stan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wonder why the photos I posted in this thread went away?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Photos show up fine for me, Stan. I knew you were going to enjoy that gun. Those barrels look even longer in the pictures!
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's strange, they're not loading for me. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

I'm having a little trouble getting used to the trigger being in the rear position. That, with the shape and size of the grip, puts my trigger finger way into the bow, so that I have to pull it with the second crease on my finger, not the first as I am accustomed to doing. As long as I just don't think about it I shoot it just fine, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, not loading for me either.

There appears to be a problem with your photobucket album, because they do
not show if I try them in another window.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I take that back. They did finally load.

Nice pictures. Wish my season were nearer.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.