April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Krag 1902, Jimmy W, graybeardtmm3, 3 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got these barrels back from my barrel browner....he did another outstanding job. It really makes the gun look alot better, the damascus contrast really "pops" and the polishing is fantastic. Really makes this old 10 bore T. Woodward spiral spring stand out in a rack of guns.

Forgive my poor quality pics, I could not get the glare to shed...the barrels and gun look much better in person.

Last edited by LeFusil; 05/13/09 03:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin, don't you own any ugly guns? That is really nice re-brown. Who does you work?

Bill G.

PS. The Ideal is doing great. I am glad the Churchhill went fast it really had me and another guy I know thinking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, beautiful work.
Not to hijack your thread, but I've always kind of wondered if the T. Woodward spiral spring design
was influenced by the MF Ideal or vice-versa. They kind of share the same external lines, but don't
really know if they have any real similarities internally.
Forgive me if this has already been discussed.
-Jim

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill,
You own one of the nicest Ideals in this country, I havent seen another one like it. Out of all the guns I've sold over the years...I miss that one the most.

I think the Woodward spiral spring action was a little before the Ideal came along. The Ideal is also a trigger plate gun that also incorporate a rising bit, the spiral spring action is pretty unique, I should pop the locks and post a pic of the guts, rather ingenious, simple, well made and strong.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very, very Nice.

yes.......... tell us who is your browner?

H&H

NOT A FAN OF PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin those are amazing.......almost a 3D quality to the browning! The only ones I've ever seen to compare were at the old WR Agency in Springfield many years ago and they were done in a stunning black and white. I believe they were done by Missourian Buck Hamlin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They look like the ones Buck did for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Getting pics that represent the true color of the barrels is very hard. My pics are no better than Dustin's but this one gives an idea of the true color.

Dustin has one fine shotgun there!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi guys nice browners I agree its hard to show the true colour of the barrels, I am no expert with cameras but this is how I do mine, my camera has a macro setting which allows you to take up close photos, I then lay a white sheet down on the workshop table situated under lighting, I prop the barrels on there side and then take the photo its the closest I can get to showing the right colour.

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really think this gun is extremely unique. Its just a bit different from other spiral spring Woodwards I've seen. I am going to order a set of gaugemates for the gun to help make it somewhat economical to shoot at the clays range. This gun feels more like a heavy 12 bore upland gun in the hands and less like a 10 bore heavy fowler. Here's a couple more pics of the gun..

Before the re-brown...

Some unique features...
Well done heel and toe plates

Unique "rolling" safety...possibly the most ergonomic safety ever..

Very nice forend release metal...the inletting is fantastic

And the neatest thing on the gun in my opinion...the little storage compartment for extra springs and strikers...and guess what??.....They are still in there!! Brand new, the strikers and springs are beautifully fire blued and in perfect condition...Paul Hodgins took the "plug" out and fully expected not seeing anything in there and when the extra bits dropped into his hands, he looked at me with astonishment! Just couldnt believe that the bits were still in there after all these years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.