April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, NCTarheel, R. Glenz, bushveld, battle, 1 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149950 06/02/09 01:37 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Another rookie question....

It seems that a lot of these side by sides have had the barrels cut.

What were the lengths offered by the factory? Just 30", or did they offer shorter lengths? I get worried when I see listed Flues with 26" barrels.

ps-where can I get a copy of Snyder's book? Amazon has them for $175

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few Flues guns with 28" bbls. I'm also not sure about 26" and also should own a copy of Walter Snyders' book by now. Some clues to cut barrels are close examination for a square clean cut, barrels touching at the muzzles, i.e. no gap or solder between the barrels, and measurement of chokes. Loose ribs or evidence of repaired solder of rib joints near the muzzle could be due to damage during a shortening job. The choke of Flues guns was stamped under the barrels. A 2 and 4 would indicate full and modified. Most U.S makers did not mark barrels for choke, so merely measuring some constriction wouldn't mean part of the choked section wasn't cut off. Often odd lengths such as 27 5/8" would indicate cut barrels. Typically, they were in even number lengths. A 27" could have been a special order gun, but I imagine most collectors would want proof, provenance, or original factory hang tag before they would consider buying.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flues model came in the usual barrel lengths. Some special 12 gauge light weights were even made in 24 inch barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And, during the Flues period, catalogued barrel lengths for 28-gauges were 24- and 26-inches, but they made other lengths as well. I have a No. 1 Special 28-gauge with barrels a bit over 30-inches. In my experience, Ithaca barrels up to the mid-NID period often are a bit long, like 30 3/16 or 28 1/8.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks all.

If anyone comes across a good shooter but rough around the edges (~$500), I'm trying to pick up a new field gun to try out this year and the Flues fit me really well with the 3"+ Drop at Heel.

Trying to assess a gun over the internet through pictures is tough, so I'm trying to do my research and make sure I dont buy a dud which is a real possibility in the price range I'm looking at.

I suspect if the gun works well for me I'll be upgrading to a nicer Grade in the future, just starting out rough & ready

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.