March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

O.K. so I'm an idiot, help with re-assembly please.
I took apart my belgian double hammerless boxlock double trigger and can't get it back together again properly, I think the springs may be in wrong. Is there an exploded view of 1 of these somewhere ????

thanks Sean

Last edited by tigertrout; 02/24/09 08:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd start with ordering the "Gunsmithing British Side by Side Shotguns" from Midway USA. Four hours of great video with an english trained gunsmith. Both boxlocks and sidelocks are covered. It's the most bang for the buck in practical knowledge I've ever gotten. Just my $0.02

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you take the entire box lock apart? On older double triggers I have never encountered a spring on the trigger, only under the trigger sears in the action itself.Can you take a picture of it and post it. We should be able to help you better then. If you don't know how to post it email me and I will post it for you. Take pictures from several angles as well.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

10-4 I'll take some snaps and post em.

thanks Sean

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok ..so what seems to be the problem?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the problem is the fore-end will not go ....the hammers will not cock......and so on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The hammers, sears and cocking dogs appear to be in proper relationship in the pic. I'm not sure you could get these parts in properly if the mainsprings were wrong. On some guns,the forends are difficult to fasten if the hammers are not cocked. You could try to manually cock the hammers by pushing on the cocking dogs where they lay under the hammers. A narrow bit of wood and the frame placed on a firm bench or table should make the job easy. The wood is so you don't mar the metal parts. The cocking starts off hard but is easier once you get the parts moving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammergun is right. There is no other way for it to go together. The main springs have to be in place in order for the hammers to be in proper alignment for the pins. I take it there was a lot of pressure on the hammers while holding them in place to put the pin back in place. If so it should be installed correctly.

The gun has to be manualy cocked prior to installing the forearm. Hold the two dogs which stick out past the action (action upside down) firmly against a hard surface such as the edge of a work bench and press down. The hammers should click into place. From what I have seen you did the reasembly correctly. I don't know how the main springs could be misaligned short of being broken and you would have felt if that happened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you perhaps installed the cocking levers upside down? That appears to be the case from your photos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.