April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Steve Nash, bbman3, Ian Forrester), 963 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As always, still fooling with stock finishes. Right now I'm trying a couple of different finishes, one an LO recipe posted that comes from the Brit trade and Pro Custom Oil. They are both coming along nicely, but I think a nice safe drying box would be a benefit to my shop. If you use one, how did you construct it and what did you uses to heat it? thanks for your input.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,.. I've used my rusting cabinet as a drying box from time to time but only have a little circulating fan going,.. I would be carefull with heat as I had a couple of minor shrincage issues in the past when even light heat was involved

Best,

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use an old computer shipping box with double wall corrugated sides. A couple of hooks made from coat hangers were punched through the top for hanging things. A 25 watt light bulb for a bit of heat was added. I use a digital thermometer with a probe on a wire to monitor the temp, which usually tops out at about 100. Simple, primitive, cheap, and it works fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve

I made one out of 2x2's and plywood. I used enamel to paint the inside so I could wipe it with a wet sponge to get dust off of it easy. I used some hooks in the top and two thermometers (one at teh top and one at the bottom) to regulate the heat. In the winter months I use a 60 watt bulb and in the summer a 40. I hold the temperature at 100 for about an hour and leave the cover in place whrn I unplug the light bulb for another hour.

Regards Gordon (see you tuesday)

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Claudio 100% re heat. When I built my cabinet I installed two light bulbs in the bottom as a heat source in order to speed drying. After a couple of instances of wood shrinkage, I quit using the bulbs. I do however have a small fan, from a computer CPU, in the bottom, in order to circulate air and speed the drying. I find that this helps and without any shrinkage. I fabricated a screen in front of the fan, which holds a coffee filter, in order to ensure that no dust is drawn into the box, God forbid!

Last edited by Ron Vella; 02/08/09 10:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I built one years ago with circulating warm, dessicated air. After awhile I concluded that humidity trumps everything.

I also experimented with a heated (up to 140 degrees F)low vacuum (25 mm Hg) oven and a dessicated nitrogen stream. Result: humidity trumps everything.

I've found that stock finishes dry much more quickly in the winter in my basement shop at 60 degrees F and 40% humidity than they do in late spring at 70 degrees F and 55% humidity. When I keep the humidity <50% (easily done with a standard dehumidifier in my closed 15x20 shop) normal temperature variation doesn't matter....I can apply finish as quickly as I want to, which is roughly once every 12 hours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A drying finnish,oil ,varnish,poly is an oxidation process. You might try a sealed box with a light flow of oxygen in it. I would think that an oxygen rich atmosphere would help with drying(oxidation) along with some heat(90-100 deg).

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I remodeled my kitchen I built in a pantry that also houses the h2o heater (electric). I hang my stocks in the pantry above the heater, works great. And I do concur with mike campbell, humidity has a lot to do with the drying process.

SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input Gents.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.