April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Jeremy Pearce, Lloyd3, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,089 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,858
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#131336 01/18/09 10:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just a little more on the Ithaca guys.
To clarify, they “like” Lefevers, they don’t plan to build one. I talked more to the engineer today and we discussed the planned side by side. It will not be an NID. It will be a whole new design using a new technology to put the barrels together. I asked how he proposed to do the ribs and he said that was the part he hadn’t worked out yet. They plan to have the gun out by next SHOT show or earlier. They assured me that this would not work out like the Ruger Gold Label. The planned price is $2,500.00
My impression of the over under is that it seems like a really nice gun. It seems more substantial than an SKB and sounds a whole lot better when it closes. No ribs between the barrels. The barrels and rib are dovetailed at the muzzles and can adjust for heat expansion. Triggers are nice, the gun has a very solid feel and a somewhat nostalgic look though not really like anything exactly.
Here are some of my notes from our conversations:
It took 3 months to design and 6 weeks to build the over under. The stanchions for the vent rib are machined into the barrel. There is no solder or brazing in the barrels. The barrels are dovetailed together at the front and fit into the receiver monoblock with a new process that is not public knowledge, yet. They told me there are 6 patents applied for in the receiver.
The price is $2,500.00 and they tell me they are sure they can make it profitably at that price. It’s impossible to be sure looking at a prototype, but it looks good to me. I plan to tour the plant soon.
The stanchions for the rib on the Model 37 are also machined into the barrel. The 28 gauge 37 was a complete redesign since all the pivot points changed on the smaller frame. The Supreme grade gun weighs 5.7 pounds and costs $3,495.00 It’s hand, deep relief engraved by Bill Mains and Gold inlaid with 3 quail and a setter on each side. The dogs on the gun belong to Dave Dluvak, the owner of the company.
The guys build the gun much as I’ve pictured gunmaking in the past. They were careful to convey that this is a team effort and were worried that I would leave someone out when I write the story.
The cost of the 37 is $859.00 base model with rib. $100 less for a plain barrel and 999.00 on the 28 gauge.
“We had to completely reengineer the gun, all the pivot points change. The only common parts with the other guns are the trigger and the safety. The trigger has to be reshaped to fit within the guard.” Darren Welsh, the engineer, said. “It took 5 weeks to design and 6 weeks to prototype. All the prototype parts worked. That’s what you see here.”

Sidelock
Sidelock

Makes one wonder why it takes so long with all the technology today to produce a new shotgun, two barrels, ages-old action and a stock. When the British went to Washington in May 1940 looking for a new fighter aircraft---nearly 1 1/2 years before US entered the war---North American rolled out a flying Mustang almost five months to the day rough sketches were submitted to the British for approval. Imagine it: not only a breakthrough in design and performance but at a cost of $15 million for 320 aircraft, $47,000 each!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will certainly consider a new Ithica SxS! I have seen their new M37's and they do look good. The price seem is a little high for a pump that I would not shoot but if I collected pumps I'd buy one. I have a 1960's M37 20ga that is one sweet little gun!

The $2500 price for an American made SxS, well I might as well order one now! I want a 6.5 pound 20 gauge with 30" barrels and choke tubes, double triggers, beavertail foreend, and my choice of strait or pistol grip. Are you Ithica guys reading this? CSMC gives their customers options, most at premium prices, so the customers can order thier "own" gun. Follow Tony G's marketing plan and the new Ithica should sell.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarkOue
I will certainly consider a new Ithica SxS! I have seen their new M37's and they do look good. The price seem is a little high for a pump that I would not shoot but if I collected pumps I'd buy one. I have a 1960's M37 20ga that is one sweet little gun!

The $2500 price for an American made SxS, well I might as well order one now! I want a 6.5 pound 20 gauge with 30" barrels and choke tubes, double triggers, beavertail foreend, and my choice of strait or pistol grip. Are you Ithica guys reading this? CSMC gives their customers options, most at premium prices, so the customers can order thier "own" gun. Follow Tony G's marketing plan and the new Ithica should sell.

IMHO the prudent thing to do would be to look for an RBL with the proven design and is available now. Remember, CSMC is blasted for delays in delivery--the Ithaca is still a dream and may never see production!

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal,

As you know from other posts I have an RBL-12 on order. I ordered and paid in full in Novemember and am scheduled for a late April/early May delivery. Okay, if it's a couple months late I won't get worked up. My RBL is a semi custom, low production gun. Sometimes "it is what it is!"

If Ithica gets their 20 ga in production before I get my gun money saved for a 20 ga I'll give the Ithica a serious chance. Please know the RBL-20 mechanical design/reliability will be the standard by which I judge the Ithica. I'll judged the feel of the gun by a Parker 0 frame 20 ga or perhaps a Fox 20 ga. If Ithica would offer a 6.5 lb with 30" barrels at a base price of $2500, unless they they really screw it up (judging by the new M37's I don't think they will) I think Ithica will get my money!

Thanks,
Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does this Ithaca have a web site?

Never mind.........got off my lazy butt and searched and found it!

Last edited by battle; 01/19/09 01:25 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

While I certainly wish the Ithaca venture all the best, I am confident you will see your new RBL before production of the Ithaca comes to pass.

PULL!
Hal M. Hare

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.