April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marks_21, griz, skeettx, SKB, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20299 01/14/07 11:38 PM
tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Reading Doubletrubble's 44 shotgun post and the responses causes me to wonder if there has ever been a smooth bored .22RF SxS fabricated that anyone knows of? I have seen SxS double rifles chambered for the .22 Long Rifle cartridge purpose built as goose guns, presumably for potting geese still on the ground. I'm thinking here more in terms of a Routledge chambering or some other smooth bored variant for the .22 RF shotshell cartridge. Its an idle question, but an interesting one nonetheless since such a gun could be used on some type of flying target, e.g., mid-air barn rats leaping from rafter to rafter when the doors are thrown open and they are found in the few moments' light. A silly question I know, but why not? Nothing but ice & sorry weather here this weekend [something over 100 new accidents within the last hour locally] and I was not able to get out amongst 'em to chase the wary Bob. Indoor shooting, of the sort just described, might have its own special appeal;-) ;-) [wink, wink]

As an aside, I have in my cartridge collection a single .45 Auto shot round with a brass case and a red paper 6-point crimped nose made from paper with the EXACT same profile as a round nose ball bullet so that it will feed & function in the 1911 autos. It is the only one like it that I have seen & I have had it for roughly 52 years. There has seemingly been a long term interest in small shot cartridges, be they for snakes or simply as garden guns to mostly scare the local birds away from the fruit or the hares away from the cabbage. Any .410 SxS would have proved superior, but we are obviously speaking of a bespoke iteration here, shoulld such a gun exist. It might prove the penultimate W. TX grasshopper gun. They get to be fair size, you know .. the grasshoppers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a fantasy and huge waste of money! Buy yourself an old .410 SxS and load it with 2 1/2" shells with 1/4oz of shot in handloads with reduced powder loads around 700 or 800 fps much like a lower powered pellet rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can remember that in the 60s?? there was a group that was experimenting with handgun altered to shoot handloaded shotshells. They rebored the barrels smooth and were fitting choke devices on them. The BATF put a end to it when they ruled that they were shotguns with a barrel less than 18"! Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a couple of times, at the Beinfeld shows, an 8 barreled .22 mag or .22 hornet, 2 up and 4 wide, intended as a long range goose gun. If I remember correctly, it fired all 8 at once.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't some one post that Galazan had one in the works and was displaying it at some shows? I can't imagine it being useful for hunting. I had a squirrel in the attic some years ago. I shot it with 3 or 4 22rf shot shells. It laughed at me and continued to gnaw at the shingles.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

They made a .22 RF double rifle - I especially like the engraved frog (reminded me of frog legs expeditions of my youth, although not with a DR as Ozark bull frogs rarely charge and a stopping rifle is seldon required).

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.