March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12094 11/27/06 09:42 PM
OP Offline

I have rather small hands, 8 1/2 glove size. I'm having a heck of a time finding a good pair of game shears. Most have handles that must open too wide when cutting with the bone notch. I end up using two hands to get decent leverage, or place one handle on the cleaning surface and push down with the other.

Anyone know of a good ergonomic shear for small hands?

That out of the way, Thanksgiving Holiday served up 12 chukar and one ringneck in Eastern Washington. Sure felt nice to harvest some birds and provide some non-turkey table fare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick, I have a pair of Gerber game shears that are the best I've ever used. The plastic handles are shaped to provide comfort while applying maximum pressure for bone shearing. The blades are serrated and include a bone notch that won't slip...Geo

My favorites, so far, have been the Chicago Cutlery shears...sharp, with a powerful bite. They come apart for cleaning but not while working. I did Dremel the screwdriver and bottle opener off of mine, which makes them compact and easy to carry. Metal through the length of the handle is a good thing. I have little hands, too, by the way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a pair of Cabelas most expensive stainless shears this year. They lasted about 2 birds before the spring got bound up and they really didn't cut phez wings worth a darn. They took them back. BTW, I found that a big hunting knife or better yet, a meat cleaver and a cutting board, works so quickly that I'll never pull out a set of shears for a phez again

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/28/06 12:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

WECK stainless, professional grade equipment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may already have garden hand cutter, either anvil type or blade pass by like the picture above. It will cut a 1" limb from a tree. Worth a try.

They may be called pruners. Some have multiple positions for the handles for smaller hands. They are certainly rugged.

Last edited by builder; 11/28/06 02:21 PM.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know about the hand size, but I have a pair of Case shears (sissors) that I got for $10 years ago at a hardware store. I can clean 65 doves an hour with them easy. I finally had to get a second pair to keep in the kitchen so I would always have a pair in my dove stool. My mother has a small pair of sissors that she got at an undertaker's convention. (long story) They will supposedly cut through a penny and would certainly fit smaller hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just came back from a pheasant hunt in S.D. The farm there was using Irwin Long Cut tin snips as game shears. There are far and away the best thing I've ever seen. Not elegant, but they work and they are apparently under $20

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had no idea that shears were like shotguns .. with so many opinions. I have owned and used Case XX, a coupla expensive Hoffritz and Italian 'game' or 'poultry' shears that looked like first cousins to the pic Chuck posted [quickly given away to a coupla brides that thot they needed expensive] and some others that I don't remember their particular brand. Long story short, FISKERS game shears, available in either riveted or take apart models, beat everything else hands down. I prefer the riveted model, but both have the same exact blade and the bone cutter is a wavy little grind near the rivet. I also have quite small hands. If you are going to need to cut bones much larger than quail then a small cleaver or hatchet makes for short work. The Fishers game/kitchen shears are inexpensive and they are real workers. They are among my most prized possessions and I keep a pair in the car/truck, in the kitchen and at any camp I have set up or base. There, they are kept with the freezer zip lock baggies, both quart & gallon sized.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the expensive game shears (I inherited a couple pairs of the nice old German ones) for cooked game just because I have them. IMHO they are a waste of money, especially the ones made today. I think you would find a pair of harbor Freight siscors (sp?) pretty good for most upland birds and on sale are less than a buck. For ducks and pheasants, use a small cleaver or hatchet with a cutting board.

[IMG]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.