March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My impression, although possibly inaccurate, is that single trigger SxS guns have a greater likelihood of having defective, troublesome triggers than single trigger O/Us. Is this impression valid and if so why are the single trigger SxSs more troublesome? Are single trigger SxS most often inertia or mechanical, and I am asking about guns made in Europe or Japan rather than "classic" American? Thank you very much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might not be a fair comparison. There are different types of single triggers, and the safeties used to actuate them.
My O/U has a single trigger, a non selective version. It has acted up twice, once when my Father had a recoil pad installed, and once when it was simply dirty. The recoil pad, as installed, was too soft to let the inertia mechanism work. When the pad got older, and harder, it resumed working correctly.
It was most of 50 years time between these two incidents.

Not a single trigger guy, incidentally. But, the Beretta O/U allows for gloves to be used.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca SKB shotguns made in the late 1960s into the 1970's in Japan were (and are) reliable single-triggered guns. Same as the Browning BSS guns also made in Japan and are reliable. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you looking at current production guns or at guns overall? With current production guns I see no difference. With old side by sides there might be a slight difference. Part due to age and wear and part due to older design. O/U get the benefit of a perfected design while early doubles used multiple transitional designs as all the bugs were being worked out until they worked nearly perfectly. I figure 90% of side by side guns are pre WWII made and 99% of O/U guns are post WWII made guns. So the O/U get the advantage of all the trigger design improvements over time.

Last edited by KY Jon; 02/16/19 01:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only comparison I could make that would be apples to apples is Yildiz. Yildiz O/U guns have crappy single triggers. Every one I've ever been around had issues. But, I've been around 4 Yildiz S x S single trigger doubles and all of them have flawlessly functioning triggers. Maybe a little heavy, but function perfectly.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Are you looking at current production guns or at guns overall? With current production guns I see no difference. With old side by sides there might be a slight difference. Part due to age and wear and part due to older design. O/U get the benefit of a perfected design while early doubles used multiple transitional designs as all the bugs were being worked out until they worked nearly perfectly. I figure 90% of side by side guns are pre WWII made and 99% of O/U guns are post WWII made guns. So the O/U get the advantage of all the trigger design improvements over time.

^^ This sums it up; single triggers were originally developed on s/s guns - and it took quite a while and a lot of different designs to sort the 'good from the bad'. I would always have double triggers, but that is a personal preference.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 02/16/19 03:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with single triggers in most side-by-sides is the wood. The only thing that maintains the relationship between the upper and lower tangs and the sears etc. is aging wood which dries and contracts, absorbs moisture and expands and gets oil soaked and spongy. Modern guns which include most over/unders have steel maintaining the relationship between all the parts and a drawbolt holding the stock on. If all single trigger Fox doubles had been built on a drawbolt frame --

that may have helped.

Last edited by Researcher; 02/21/19 01:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From simply a use standpoint, I prefer double triggers.

My Citoris, Rem 101, and one SKB Ithaca are the only doubles I have with single triggers. They all work flawlessly of course. It is simply a matter of personal preference.

With double triggers I essentially have two guns. I have had a firing pin break at inopportune times. With two triggers I still have a functioning barrel. With a single trigger the first barrel would be okay if the second barrel pin broke. If the second barrel was the only one that worked I'd have to snap, rap the butt with my palm and then be ready to fire.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan, at least your SKB/Ithaca would be running. Just push the button to get left barrel first. Single triggers with select fire are okay for that reason. I have a couple of the SKB/I's. Nice guns for the dollar for sure.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the mid 1880's the Brit gun trade began to recognize that a significant part of the shooting population simply were unable to master double triggers. Lock work and bolting were solved and ejectors were making good progress. So, a lot of creativity was turned to single triggers. The actual mechanics behind a workable single trigger is a bit complex and took a good deal of trial and error. Recognition of the involuntary second pull (a reaction to recoil) was key to working single triggers. Many of the early models were, shall we say, "fussy."

I suspect this quote originated with a master speaking to an apprentice in reference to servicing single triggers, "You are a KYrow praktor and I am a New Row surgeon. You don't cut nuttin' unless I say so!"

DDA

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.