April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, David Williamson, Sun Dog, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 492 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Anyone else tired of seeing every mundane LC Smith counted out to some level of uniqueness?
1 of 6 with the same scene on both plates ??? How about standard late pre-13 production engraving?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101082136

Sidelock
Sidelock

The quality of the stock suggests a factory replacement. Ha. Far from it!
Beavertail forend???

And how would the seller know that only 6 guns were made with matching engraving on the plates? I really want to know where some of these guys cone up with this stuff!

Just another example of someone puffing something up to tey and grab an un-knowing buyer.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

The water in Michigan makes people say strange things-----

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although Grade 3E 20-bore Smith guns are a bit on the uncommon side, how the seller can verify his claim that only six examples were produced in the engraving motif depicted on the gun is beyond me. I've done quite a bit of research on the LC Smith gun and surviving records, and there's nothing in any of the surviving shipping ledger records giving the researcher any indication as to how each grade, or an individual gun within the listed grades may have been engraved; and for the record there's several variations of Hunter's Grade 3 engraving pattern known to exist besides the style seen on this example. So I call total bull crap on the "only six exist" claim. As a collector all I see in this example is a well-used Grade 3 with a replaced and incorrectly checkered butt stock, burred screws, and no case color remaining shooter built on a feather weight frame with optional ejectors and HOT single trigger. If the drop at heel is 3 1/2" as claimed; don't see this gun as a good shooter either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd rather have a Dickinson than that semi-p.o.s.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark21,

Some of what you say is true however the #3 guns were all made to order and hand engraved, no production line engraving what so ever, prior to 1913. There were different versions of the engraving available and if requested special engraving was available, by Spangler or Kraus, Hunter Arms Master Engravers.

topgun,
Never say never when it come to L.C. Smith guns, they filled more special orders than any other gun company in history.

Although I have to agree with you, what makes this gun kind of special, is that it happens to be a 20 gauge gun, with special ordered, identical Quail Scene engraving on both sidelocks, seldom produced. It also has been worked on and the Chambers have been opened to 2 3/4, from the original 2 9/16. Although the gun is selling for a premium cost, I would estimate the value of this particular #3 L.C. Smith to be right at $8,200. Which gives the owner some room to come down in cost, if somebody knowledgable wants to make a legitimate offer. I would need to see the stock close up in person, to determine whether it is original or not.

Further if the owner has a letter form the Cody Museum they may have given him an idea of exactly how many 20 Gauge #3 guns were made, they do have an approximate number on record, however the record will not reflect any of the executive guns or railroad guns, that were produced prior to 1913. All documented paper work/sales receipts on these particular guns, was shipped with the gun to the original owners/businesses. No other documentation will exist on those particular guns, and as John Houchins learned some of those guns are seriously nice.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/13/18 09:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And the chambers should be 2.5 unless factory marked!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark II,

In that era 2 3/4 shells did not exist, unless special made.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/13/18 09:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There you go, fellas-8K to buy into that one.

Step right up. I'm 'gonna sit this one out, I guess.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, you can buy it then at that price Dave. You better get the check written and in the mail.

No need to examine it in person, i can tell from my house that the buttstock is not factory.

It is amazing what some try to explain away under the special order and the never say never umbrella.

B.Dudley
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.