April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mark II, Kolar Dickson, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 950 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This view courtesy of a DEPSTECH WiFi endoscope.

Looking for those pits...here is the only one I could find of any size, R barrel, 6 from breech face, first the straightaway view:

Note pinholes farther down the tube.

Then add the substandard 90 mirror, looks a little worse:

Down to the muzzle:

It was difficult to obtain an in focus shot or a view of the barrels, especially through the 90 Attachment. Perhaps spending a little bit more on the next level of quality up would -yield better results. To my eye they appear satisfactory. What say the experts?

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps needs a bit better resolution but it did pick up the one pit? I think it would help with muzzleloaders and examining rifle chambers and bores. I wonder if it could be used to help zero a rifle scope? You know one shot and adjust? They are only about $40. right?

Old Damascus looks pretty good. Makes one ask how much it was used considering black powder ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

>100 y/o barrels that clean certainly suggest previous honing. What was Mr. Merrington's opinon regarding the bore and wall thickness?

Unfortunately the resolution of the larger pit is inadequate to provide any opinion. $38 units are reliably reassuring if the bores are clean or only with tiny pits; less so if a larger pit is found, esp. 6" from the breech

This inexpensive tool provides excellent definition out to about 10"
https://4570products.info/Clearview-Brass-Bore-Scope-16.htm

Of course the depth of the pit is in the eye of the examiner, and Kirk Merrington would be an expert examiner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the low level of clarity I can't see any benefit, or knowledge gained using the scope over just carefully viewing with the naked eye. What am I missing?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel the same way about an endoscope in general. Perhaps it can show you more in person but reprinted pictures are a bit fuzzy. Still interesting attempt to use technology.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought my eyes were pretty good.
I was wrong, and missed alot.

$1000 technology is better than $40. But the Clearview scope ($23 + shipping) allows much more distinct (and sometimes frightening) detail than does my eye from 10" away.

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This endoscope is pretty neat in that it hooks up to your iPhone via WiFi. The pictures posted were exactly the resolution visible on the phone screen. Compared to the naked eye, it was an improvement. For example, the large pit @6" with the naked eye looked no bigger than what turned out to be little pinholes elsewhere. At least a premonition of something larger was apparent with this el-cheapo endoscope. However, I could never achieve satisfactory focus with the 90 degree attachment for a close look.

Mr. Merrington measured the min walls at .027L and .025R. Bores are proofed for BP @.740 (1974) and measure as such. Mr. Merrington believed they were honed and reproofed at the same time.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Old Damascus looks pretty good. Makes one ask how much it was used considering black powder ?

Actually guns which were only shot with Black Powder often fared better than those used with smokeless. When many switched to smokeless they felt they didn't need so thorough a cleaning as when Black was used. Much of the pitting found in old guns is from the corrosive primers used in the early shells with a lack of cleaning because the smokeless didn't leave the fouling of Black.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Miller. Thank you for pointing that out. I don't think about corrosive primers in early shotgun ammunition, only rifle ammo. Perhaps because corrosive rifle cartridges still show up to be used, shotgun, not so much. A very good point I'll try to remember.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too soon after my latest colonoscopy to think about endoscopes...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.