April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jim H., AaronN, buckstix, Sun Dog, SKB), 453 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,101
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GaryW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The only place in Texas I had not hunted ducks in a long and misspent career of chasing them is the lower coast. A trip to Port O'Connor last week with my son and his duck hunting buddy resolved that and the thrill of seeing thousands of redheads along with myriad other waterfowl was worth the long haul from the Panhandle. Hunting shallow and incredibly clear salt water ponds in the mangrove islands near Matagorda Island one day and inland crawfish ponds the next was quite an experience. My Panhandle born and raised lab Bella had never seen that much water much less take an airboat ride. We used a pair of Winchester Model 21's; a duck grade magnum and a trap grade with 32" F&F barrels with Bismuth shells. I'm ready to go back next year.....or just move to Port O'Connor. the last pic is an albino widgeon taken last season by our guide Dwayne Lowery.

Last edited by GaryW; 01/12/18 11:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great trip and I am sure wonderful memories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the Model 21 I was looking for. Damn it!! Thanks for the post Gary and that is one great looking mount.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures. The few chances I had to hunt ducks in that area were memorable. I miss the slicing and slashing of widgeon dumping into the decoys. It's the only area where I was able to turn big flocks of ducks with a call. Really good habitat in some of those brackish marshes. Sorry to drift off, thanks for sharing it.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Nice, I can't imagine walking out in the marsh like that without sinking up to my chest.

GaryW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind comments....surprisingly, the bottom in those salt water ponds is surprisingly firm with grass growing in it; the reason the ducks feed there. At 66 I can't slog the upper coast (or Louisiana) marshes that I grew up in....these firm bottoms were a delightful change. It's an entirely different world in that part of Texas and Port O'Connor is at the end of the road....going back down there in April with the fly rods for redfish and speckled trout.(another bucket list item)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary, I have been there many times fishing. Duck Hunted over at Port Aransas. A beautiful area. Glad to see you used Bismuth, which is what I used at Port Aransas. Who was your guide?

Last edited by Stallones; 01/13/18 11:36 AM.
GaryW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Capt. Dwayne Lowery.....probably the best guide in that area; a serious duck hunter and trout rustler; if you go with him, you will go where the birds are; I've hunted and fished with Dwayne since he was in the 7th grade(I was his teacher)...there's probably no better fisherman on the coast.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Awesome trip and photos. The albino widgeon is striking. Coastal TX ducks are on my bucket list also. Thanks for the guide recommendation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a nice mixed bag, Gary. Glad y'all had a good trip. Do you stay in a hotel when you hunt with Lowery, as opposed to a lodge of some kind?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 01/14/18 09:35 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.