April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Ken Nelson, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,036
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212962 01/12/11 05:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought you would like to see some pics of what came into the workshop today Original bill of sale, nitro proofed, spotless bores, original case, browning worn around for-end area but otherwise lovely condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel Browner,

Without even examining the Greener shotgun, I'll offer you, 300% of the original purchase price for it. lol. I'd offer more but I am an OAP.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Browner:
Superb! The signatures are worth almost as much as the gun. Bravo!

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know people have mixed views on this but what about restoration? the barrels need doing and maybe the trigger guard,but the rest I think should be left as is?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Greener #47032 is the same right down to the engraving. Mine is a Monarch with Baker patent ejectors. It is filed to resemble a Facile Princeps but is actually an Anson and Deeley action made in 1898. Used by a Great Uncle as a duck gun on the Susquehanna Flats it is now my regular sporting clays gun and I would never part with it. Enjoy it barrel browner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The trigger guard will never look as good as it does now. Brown the barrels, leave the rest alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Browner:
I understand the psychological need to somehow make nicer than it is. But please don't. It is grace, beauty and history as it stands. Please don't erase an iota of that.

I have always regretted doing any work on guns that were not neglected or clearly "beaters" to begin with.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the wonderful world of W.W. Greener. I've been a fan for a long time. This firms wonderful Facile Princeps and G-guns are some of the best made, balanced, and finely finished guns out there dollar for dollar or pound for pound. The really nice thing is...the insides are finished just as well, if not better than the outsides, even on the lowly empire/colonial grades, its a treat everytime one of these Greeners gets opened up. I even like the side-safety! If you want to re-brown the barrels, then by all means do so, you are a professional and know exactly what you are doing. I personally like to see and appreciate the damascus pattern and enjoy the looks of freshly finished chocolatey brown damascus.

My Greener FH25 circa 1910 was somewhat of a wreck when I bought it, the stock was cracked at the head and thru the wrist, but the metal was excellent, the screws unturned and the action was tight and smack on the face. Stocked it, re-blacked the barrels and trigger guard. I shoot this gun all the time, its one of my favorites.

Dustin

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.