April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (AaronN, Jerry G, Ducks Rx, J.B.Patton, Lloyd3, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 235 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,713
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gus and I chased the birds last weekend and did okay. But if I could learn to shoot, we would easily have had a pair of limits.

Who am I kidding- it wasn't me, it was the gun that prevented full bags. Really. I probably need at least one new one. But in lieu of that, I could have chosen better from the supply at hand. Stupidly, I went for the hammerless look and that meant the Merkel and its 15.25" LOP. In shirtsleeves, sure thing. But in a coat, 2 vests and several insulated shirts, it was way too long.

The solution might have been to put the original buttplate back on to replace the Pachmyer, but I can't find it. So, is there anyone who can recommend a source of good, generic hard-rubber plates - flat no curve or tit to be inlet.

Thanks,
Brent

PS. Have sympathy for my main man, Gus. He deserves better.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pictures....it looks awful cold.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not so cold - 18-20F. It was pretty nice actually. It was the snow that drifted into the tallgrass prairie and cattails that was the problem. Plenty of work to keep me warm.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun! (Nice dog too.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope what appears to me to be a high voltage fence wire was turned off before the nice looking dog was zapped by it!
My Shepherd Cross dog, Burma, touched my pasture fence with 7000 volts with a snotty nose one day, some years ago.
Lots of howling, she took off for a whole day in the bush before she came home. I was testing the fence some time later and I touched a wire sticking from the ground accidentally , and got a big belt, like being hit in the chest with a 14lb hammer.
No fun, and it should not happen, according to the manufacturers.
I still figure that electrocution did me a mischief as I have erratic heartbeat sessions now and again.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, heck that line on the pic has vanished, I must have seen before the pic was properly downloaded.
However watch for those live New Zealand 7000 volt fences, and try not to pee on them!
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently looked for generic hard rubber/plastic butt plates for a couple of Spanish guns that are too long for me. I finally settled on the CSMC RBL plates that were used on the original 20 ga Launch Edition. Much nicer and better quality than any of the reproduction butt plates that I have seen, and they come in two sizes (I think they also used tham on the 28's and maybe others). Don't remember the price, but it wasn't bad. Check your size before you call to order. No widow's peak to inlet, and they are flat for a squared up butt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I lived in the northern midwest, I shortened the stock on my very light (so hard recoiling) Ithaca SKB 100 to install a Pachmayr "Old English" Decelarator pad. This worked well early season, often shirtsleeve warm. Later, as clothing thickened, I'd switch the Pachmayr with a 1/16" sheet-aluminum plate I'd cut and filed to fit the butt, chamfering the edges, using the same screw holes of course. When shooting, the aluminum slid easily into the shoulder pocket.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey brent, send me a PM-I live in Iowa, what part are you from? I could swap some rooster counts with you. I'm interested to hear about success (or lack there-of) from around the state. I have tallied a whole 13 this year. Not complaining about the low kill count but I have only seen 4 hens all year. It's not looking too good around here...

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent:

What you need is that swell skeleton plate that is offered in the for sale section... After all, isn't Gus worth it?

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.