April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (67galaxie, 1 invisible), 943 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157493 08/10/09 04:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I love this 12ga. O/U but this one problem is driving me crazy. When the gun gets warm, like when shooting trap, it is very hard to break open. You have to use you knee across the action and it is not something I want to do. I have taken appart and cleaned all I could think of and it is no help. It seems as if when the gun has become hot, this problem becomes available. Obviously something is swelling that makes this problem show up. Anyone have any ideas or have had this experience themselves with these guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one of these that was hard to open when hot, particularly in very hot weather, two things I noticed, Dirty ejector rails clog up and make the ejectors bind when hot, If gun has done very little work and is still very tight then make sure you use a very good lubricant on the front knuckle as this seems to bind up when gun gets very hot.

If it is well worn then it could be wear in the cocking lever (where it actuates the hammers) and only a complete strip would comfirm this, these are a prick of a thing to put back together if you strip them, particularly if it is the leaf spring version, refitting the hammer springs requires some special skills.

Leaf spring variations(there were 3 of them) can be identified as having firing pin bushes with 2 hole removal dogs,coil spring models have 3 hole bushes, and in the forend coil ejector springs will be visible

Hotrack

Graet guns

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The great skill for this problem, just may reguire a gunsmith for me. I have had the gun myself about 5 yrs. I was told that before me the guns was a back up gun, for another trap shooter, but he rarely shot it. I have about 1500 shots through it. Guessing from what the previous owner said, he did not put that many shoots through it. There is just no wear present on metal or wood. But still it is a drag, that when the gun gets warm you have to assist opening it over your knee. I have tried all the things mentioned in your first paragraph. Thanks for the response!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.