April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gunning Bird, David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149924 06/01/09 09:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm much of the way through restocking a fox...I had the blank fully let in and had checked function (I thought), and had the shape down to the point I was going to assemble it and check fit on a pattern board before final sanding/finishing. You know the rest of the story...I put it together to find that the right barrel functions fine, while the left barrel is not working...I believe it is not cocking, so hammer is lowering as the action is closed. All the parts appear to have plenty of space around them, and all the action screws are timed so they match the former stock. I thought maybe I had buggered something in working on it, so I reassembled on the old stock, and it works flawlessly. In comparing the two, the right barrel trigger pull (the only one I can compare) feels a bit lighter in the new stock.

Possible culprits? What's next?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first thing I would do is take the action off of either stock it is currently on examine two areas. First check the hammers and sears for possible worn or broken surfaces, then be sure that the sear spring is fully contacting both sears (maybe one is bent and not putting pressure down?). Also, if the sear spring screw is a little loose it will not hold the sears, so be sure its tight. If everything is ok with those, I would then assemble it without a stock so you can see it work. Then put the barrels and forend on and test its function to be sure that you know nothing mechanically is wrong. This lets you see how everything should line up and usually reinforces the fact that you have wood interference. After doing this, compare the two stocks as close as you can. If you dont spot any possible wood interference issues right away, take some light gun grease or stock inletting black and cover your trigger plate, action and the back of your hammers. Then assemble the gun as you would normally on the new stock, test for function, then take it apart and see where you have contact. Often times you will inlet without things like the hammers (maybe the head of the stock isnt letting it fully cock back enough?)safety, triggers, sears, etc, so you can easily forget to make room for them. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by CMWill; 06/01/09 10:37 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Suspect some binding/interference with the trigger returns. While opening, put your finger behind the trigger and apply a little forward pressure to see if you can get the hammer to engage the sear notch. Perhaps the triggers are rubbing on the sides of the slot in the wood. Apart from one broken tip on a cocking lever, I've had 4 other instances of hairset triggers or complete failure to cock. All of those 4 were due to something interfering with the trigger return....wood chips, unburned powder, etc.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Channing and Mike, thanks very much. It was wood at the head of the stock interfering with the hammer. 5 minutes with a chisel and all functions flawlessly.
Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.