April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LGF, SKB, Argo44, Toby Barclay), 1,045 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,714
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have any comments on this? Is this just internet B.S. or what?

http://www.rense.com/general75/manwho.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolute total BS. Infuriating this sort of nonsense gets traction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a father in law who served with Patton in Europe. He told me years ago that he had always suspected that Patton was murdered. One thing I know: Patton's men respected him a lot...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put it out of your mind. It's silly. He had enough enemies on both sides, and there were lots of chances to kill him, why would they wait until the end of the war? He was no threat to the United States.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I don't believe it. Stretching the topic a bit, I'd like to relate a story I was told when I worked as a masonry laborer during college summers.

One of the masons told me he was in a bridge building outfit during WWII, and one day while they were building a bridge (and taking sporadic enemy fire) across some unknown river in France, a jeep with general's stars came barrelling up to the bank of the river. Patton hopped out (wearing the ivory gripped sidearms), and said "Hurry up and get that bridge done boys, I want to go over there and shoot my guns." Then he jumped back in the jeep and away it went.

The man who told me this story said he and the troops LOVED Patton. I got the impression they admired him for exposing himself to fire near the front, just like they were doing. Sorry for going off topic here, but snippets like this show the myth surrounding Patton had a basis in fact.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one uncle who would have taken any number of bullets for Patton. Tank commander in WWII, who said that Patton was the best when it came to making sure his boys moved forward. Felt that if you let the Germans dig in the number of killed and wounded went up many times greater than a fast charge, which kept them from defending prepared defenses. This was a man, in a Sherman, going up against Panzers. Took guts, skill and a lot of luck to live through the war.

Patton was no paper pushing REMF. He saw combat in WWI and was on the front lines in WWII many times. Not exposing himself to reckless danger but up with his men, seeing first hand, what was and what was not going on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has often been theorized that he was killed by the Soviets whom he hated (and visa versa). I knew three soldiers under him whom absolutely HATED him. They would start shaking when his name came up and these even tempered old fellows went balistic cursing him out. He pushed his men and went forward quickly. They thought it was too quickly, but you weigh that against those who would be lost giving the enemy time to regroup.

He was shooting ahead as usual when mines were destroying tanks on the roads. He ordered a jeep to go ahead to set them off instead and had blacks drive the jeeps. It certainly worked. The Germans considered him our best general.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is so much myth and BS about Patton out there you might hear just about anything. I knew one of his Aides who was later one of his Battalion commanders. He told us Patton went to extreme measures to show his troops their leader moving forward and without fear of the enemy. For example, no one talks about seeing Patton moving to the rear to get back to his staff and headquarters. That is because he often used light aircraft for return trips just so the men wouldn't see him moving in the wrong direction. Patton fostered this image as part of his leadership style and it obviously worked. I'm with Joe Taylor, the story that Patton was killed by our government is just crap. His popularity with the troops resulted in many war stories which were fabrications of those troops as a form of hero worship. I am sure there were troops that didn't like him for whatever reason as well so their fabrications would be derogatory. Truth is he was the right man for the job at that time and left a legacy which still influences our Army.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When GP wanted to cross the bridge to "shoot his guns", he couldn't have been referring to his CHE .410 skeet gun, could he?

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY John- sounds like we had similar military experiences- REMF and the "Shake and Bake NCO's out of Benning"- rings some familiar bells- My first wife's Dad was a Sgt. in Patton's Third Army and went into Bastogne in Dec 1944. Patton believed that good accurate intel was worth an entire Div.- his G-2 chief Col. Otto Koch determined that the Germans would make a "last ditch effort". I have (presently out on loan) several books on Patton from the Military Book Club- great info-Patton was from a wealthy CA family- owned a vineyard and other real estate-both his Dad and GrandDad were VMI and West Pointers. Like most all Veterans who have seen the horror of combat, my late Father-In-Law never spoke much about his war experiences (He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart-pulled two of his men out from German mortar fire and got shrapnel wounds in his legs-) and this is the first I've seen about a plot to kill the best Field Commander we had in WW11- Both Patton and Irwin Rommel shared this 4 word term for leadership however: "Officers Always Eat Last"!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/18/08 02:35 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.