Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91850 04/17/08 08:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What are your experiences with "auction houses" online or otherwise? buying from afar..
Is it worth the bother for a non-ffl??
JC Devine,Greg Martin,etc.

thanks

B

yobyllib #91851 04/17/08 09:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of folks knock them but I have tried to be careful and have had good luck with one exception. Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
yobyllib #91861 04/17/08 09:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think they're fine for the more everyday stuff. The troubles I've seen and heard fo are usually in the more clollectible guns where the finer details can mean a lot in terms of value. Many many sellers don't really know what they're looking at or don't understand guns from the collector's standpoint. I've bought a couple NIB handguns, and a few long guns that werre really good deals. But at the prices I was paying I didn't really care if they weren't exactly as advertised. Having said that you're really taking a gamble if you're talking about guns in the thousands of dollars.

As for the FFL issue, I think that as long as you're not getting robbed on the transfer it's not too much of a pain. Depends on how much you're saving on the gun itself. Paying for an FFL and keeping up with all the paperwork equals quite a few transfer fees.

Best

Nick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had nearly all good experiences, both buying and selling, on the Internet.(Thank you, AlGore, for inventing it) I've had worse disappointments buying at gun shows. You have to know what you're doing, either place. After you know what you're doing, pick up the pnone, talk to the seller, ask the important questions, spend a dime. Don't reply on a couple of quicky e-mails and assume that everything is the way you want it to be. Look at the seller's feedback. If he has 457 feedbacks, all positive, you're likely in good hands. If he has 10 positive and 3 negative, run, don't walk, away. The wonderful thing about Internet shopping is that you can find specific guns by proper searching, that you wouldn't run across in a lifetime of going to local, or even major gunshows. My experience suggests to me that there are more sharks and misrepresenters(liars) at gunshows than on the Internet. The only two guns that I remember sending back came from "reputable", well-known dealers.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 04/17/08 11:12 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #91867 04/17/08 10:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you stick with the most reputable houses such as: Greg Martin, Bonham & Butterfields, Rock Island Auction, J.C. Devine & James Julia on this side of the pond you will normally get good service. I have bought many guns from each and have never had to return one. Only two were grossly misrepresented and a price concession was made both times. as was stated earlier you do need to be careful. Read the entire description & then do your homework.

As to buying on the other side of the pond, with the exchange rate the way that it is and with the customs hassle, it is almost not worth the trouble in most cases. There are, however, some guns that you never see on this side. Be doubley careful if you buy over there. You would be well advised to get someone like Diggory Haddoke or John Farugia who will be attending in person to bid for you. Holt's, Bonhams, Christie's do the big gun auctions with Holt's being the biggest.

I don't carry an FFL anymore since the paperwork became so burdensome. I have a local FFL receive those for me to whom I pay $15.00 per gun. It's worth every bit of that.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.