March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can someone please tell me which is correct?

Double shotguns have a swamp in the barrels. Meaning there is a very slight curve down the barrel from the breach to about mid length. Then there is a slight curve upwards to the muzzles.

If you measure the drop at comb and at heel with a long precison straight edge that contacts the rib at the muzzles - not resting on the top of the bead, you will get a certain measurement for the drop at comb and at heel.

But if you use a shorter straight edge that only extends to the mid point of the rib on the barrels. You will get different measurements for drops at the combs and at heel. The measurements might be as much as 1/4 inch MORE at the heel.

I assume the long straight edge method is proper? Thanx.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NE - you assume correctly. The drop measure is from "line of sight." An easy way is to lay the shotgun upside down on a large, flat table and measure up from the table top to the stock.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also make sure the front bead is hanging off the edge of the table so you don't get a false measurement

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun has a mid-bead, just prop the front and rear of the rib on a pair of wood blocks, measure from the comb and heel to the table surface, and subtract the thickness of the blocks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is line of sight at the base of the front bead or over the top?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always used the base of the bead/rib surface for the front and the rib surface at the reciever.

I've seen some ribs below the barrels at the muzzles, so laying it on a table would not give an accurate account of that type.

Also, I have checked my dinner table and breakfast nook table for flatness. Only certain parts of them are acceptably flat for measuring a gun for drop. It's amazing how curved some table surfaces are. Frankly, I like using a straightedge to get a good reading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And once we've determined these numbers to our satisfaction, what do they mean?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do you like talking in riddles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say the these drop measuring procedures would be correct, but you said in your first post that there is a slight curve upward to the muzzles. Someone might want to correct me if I am wrong, but not all barrels bend upward. If I remember correctly, the Model 21s made prior to 1960 had a slight downward bend which made them shoot "dead on". This was changed in 1960. I don't know how many other makes were made in this manner other than the 21s. But I think the earlier 21s were.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Msasurments like this are useful in comparative assessments by us in determining whether or not a gun will shoot well for a given shooter with known positive experience with a set of dimensions. However, there are some variables that the basic drop/LOP/cast don't account for. Granted, they are more subtle than the big basic dimensions above. But you knew all this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.