Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt ChiefAmungum 03/28/24 12:06 PM
Disagree if you like. I imagine there is a lot more story to that broken rib extension than the obvious. By the way the Merkle could suffer similar damage, a rib extension is a rib extension.

I would ask, had the Merkle only had one locking system or the other would you have not bought it? Several other criteria that I look at first. Configuration, fit, condition, weight, balance etc. Would I buy a Merkle, sure! Seek one out solely because of its locking scheme, no.

Chief
23 537 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt BrentD, Prof 03/28/24 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Overkill, Brent. Not overbuilt. Overkill as in unnecessary, belt and suspenders. From an engineering standpoint either method would be adequate on its own. As stated, most low enders only have a rib extension with the inclined slot. I've never seen one fly open!

I disagree. Drew just showed us an example.
23 537 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Stanton Hillis 03/28/24 11:33 AM
Owning and using a double gun that is not regulating, and “adapting to it” makes as much sense as buying a rifle that has adjustable sights and never shooting to see where it hits until you figure out it is off by a few inches, than using Kentucky windage to adapt to it, instead of adjusting the sights.

A shotgun can be made to shoot to POA by several different means, and a S x S can often be made to regulate with a certain load. That’s just accepted fact. You obviously enjoy running against the wind, JimmyW. Carry on.
62 2,248 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Identify German Combination 1880 ellenbr 03/28/24 11:28 AM
Jani, I think it was a >>trade-in<< or maybe the original custodian or commissioner had passed and an heir wanted something different or nothing @ all.

I can't remember right off without some diggin', but if a Jäger expired, was his wife or were his heirs & assigns legally assigned his sporting arms without additional paperwork?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
6 129 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission SKB 03/28/24 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by canvasback
Much as I hate to agree with Brent, he's right.

The "Right" constantly gets outflanked by the "Left" because the Left is filled with activists that work for the long haul. Generational. This DEI stuff, wokeism, whatever you want to call it. the infringement on gun and property rights blah blah blah ad nauseaum, didn't happen overnight. it has been a long time coming.
No, cback, the prof is not. If he isn't flat out wrong, he's at least a hypocrit. Bottom line, his feel good opinion has nothing to do with science that he often belittles others about. It is as predictable as a dem playing the race or gender card, run the other way when all they bring is an emotional tug on heartstrings, by invoking children.

Steve and Brent would you do a courtesy revisit some time about specific numbers of kids, who join school/club shooting teams, claim to have a responsible parent purchase one or more weekend recreational arm, purchased a youth hunting license in their name, etc. Or, maybe we look the other way, when it comes to results.

What the hell is your point Craig? Do you think school shooting teams and youth licenses are a problem? What results are you implying? For a positive outcome they need to sign up for the young Republicans club? I see getting youth involved with the outdoors as a positive thing, apparently we have different views on the matter.
35 723 Read More
Re: 8 ga. load using Longshot 1 /18 oz. shot greener4me 03/28/24 09:18 AM
The Parker Gun Collectors Ass'n have a number of 8 bore users who participate in clay shooting with reduced loads. Perhaps an enquiry on that website would elicit the required information on reduced loads.
3 129 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt ChiefAmungum 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Overkill, Brent. Not overbuilt. Overkill as in unnecessary, belt and suspenders. From an engineering standpoint either method would be adequate on its own. As stated, most low enders only have a rib extension with the inclined slot. I've never seen one fly open!
23 537 Read More
Re: Reilly Side-Lever SxS .410 - 1884 KY Jon 03/28/24 03:24 AM
December 2023 Sealed Bid Auction : Sale S1223 Lot 8556
E.M. REILLY & CO. .410 DOUBLE-BARRELLED SIDELEVER HAMMERGUN, serial no. 25853,

Estimate £15-25

S2 - Sold as a Section 2 Firearm under the 1968 Firearms Act

Please note that guns sold as Stock, Action and Fore-end only are sold without barrels. The original barrels may be available for sleeving purposes, but will only be released cut in the approved manner as per Proof House guidelines. Please note there is a charge of £10 per item for this service. Please note Stock, Action & Fore-end guns are sold as licensable items and will need to be entered onto an appropriate licence before being released. If, subsequently, licensable parts are left with Holts for destruction, a £25 handling charge will be levied

This was a stock, action and fore-end gun. Holt's will absolutely not sell a gun they know is out of proof. It would cost them a lot of money to do so. Click on your link and you will see the disclaimer.
8 279 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission craigd 03/28/24 03:05 AM
....You can say that stuff Craig but the empirical evidence across NA, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand says I’m right....
Thanks cback. I admit that I'd prefer to limit the discussion to the US for reasons that you might predict, but I'd share if it helps. Anyway, I'd be open to being pointed towards any empirical evidence that has worked for any issue, right of center. If you will, it can't be an issue that the left capitulates on, such as defund then fund the police again?

I'll edit to add that I can appreciate your passion for this broad strategy, but I didn't criticize the theory, I disagree with your conclusion of prof's example.
35 723 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission Ted Schefelbein 03/28/24 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by gunny
so what the F#$% can we do about it besides bitchn to the choir. does anyone have a solution?

Good grief, that's simple.

This "board" governs only a puffy, little grant program for mostly children and not the governing board for the Colorado Parks and Wildlife? Maybe you missed that.

Did you, your children, or grandchildren apply for the board? There were only 40 applications.

Now YOU could propose a program for a hunting or shooting activities on Colo public lands that would recruit new hunters and shooters to the outdoors and even receive some of this grant money to do it. You are all about recruiting new young people to the sports, not just providing new things for people already engaged, right?

Or you could, entirely independent of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife, host youth activities to recruit new people to the ranks?

Nah. I didn't think so either. But if you want to get anywhere productive, you have to leave the comfort of "the choir" and start talking to the people that scare you so.

Fire away.

I’m going to bet that filing with the board to begin a youth firearms safety course might not fit the social justice theme that runs through the rather sad resume’s posted above.

Just a guess.

Best,
Ted
35 723 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission canvasback 03/28/24 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by craigd

The "Right" constantly gets outflanked by the "Left" because the Left is filled with activists that work for the long haul. Generational. This DEI stuff, wokeism, whatever you want to call it. the infringement on gun and property rights blah blah blah ad nauseaum, didn't happen overnight. it has been a long time coming.
No, cback, the prof is not. If he isn't flat out wrong, he's at least a hypocrit. Bottom line, his feel good opinion has nothing to do with science that he often belittles others about. It is as predictable as a dem playing the race or gender card, run the other way when all they bring is an emotional tug on heartstrings, by invoking children.

Steve and Brent would you do a courtesy revisit some time about specific numbers of kids, who join school/club shooting teams, claim to have a responsible parent purchase one or more weekend recreational arm, purchased a youth hunting license in their name, etc. Or, maybe we look the other way, when it comes to results.

You can say that stuff Craig but the empirical evidence across NA, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand says I’m right. I’m not talking just about teenage eco hunter programs. I’m talking about all of society. The vast majority of people who get up in the morning a dedicate their day to activism in support of some cause are on the Left.
35 723 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 CJF 03/28/24 02:00 AM
Thanks Mike. I really like the Watson too! Probably once a month it comes out of the safe, and I think how lucky I am to have been able to acquire it. Pleasant to shoot, accurate, and plenty of gun for what I hunt.

Regards,
Chris
20 409 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission craigd 03/28/24 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Yeah, Brent's right here. Older conservative folks just don't want to get involved and then this happens. If you're even remotely comfortable, you usually just don't care and only want to be left alone. I get it.

Slouching towards Gomorra. Bork had it right.
To expand on my comment to cback, the resumes and agendas that you listed are a significant amount of unrelated, negative baggage, to simply be dismissed because children are invoked.
35 723 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission craigd 03/28/24 01:52 AM

35 723 Read More
Re: OT- New Colorado DOW commission earlyriser 03/28/24 01:47 AM
One thing I try to do is be the very best hunter-conservationist I can. I believe hunters understand nature and ecology better than most people (even better than academically trained ecologists), but too often I see hunters dismiss parts of nature that aren’t game animals. In a public forum a thoughtful hunter-conservationist can stand toe to toe with any non-hunting outdoor advocate, but the hunter has to understand and speak about conserving all parts of nature, not just game animals. In a recent public meeting I saw a hunter say “We don’t care about the little birds” speaking of songbirds. In my opinion, he basically gave away his power when he said that. If I’m going to advocate that hunting has a place in a healthy, functioning ecosystem, I want to know that ecosystem better than anyone, and have stewardship cred that can’t be challenged. If hunters walk—the-walk I think we’ll keep our place on the landscape.
35 723 Read More
Re: 8 ga. load using Longshot 1 /18 oz. shot David Williamson 03/28/24 01:42 AM
Bill, it is not for me, a fellow "elsie" man shoots in most of the big shoots and just got into the 8 gauge and is looking for some light loads. I told him I would see if I could some get information on here. A powder that works is Clays but that is like finding hen's teeth right now. Some of the guys that shoot 8 gauge at the Southern have loads but getting the powder not happening.
3 129 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: CVA kit from the 70's PhysDoc 03/28/24 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by HalfaDouble
I'll send you a pic.
Pm to be sent with e-mail address
6 140 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Jimmy W 03/28/24 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ken Nelson
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
That's why I use the same :load every time I shoot. I don't jump around using 7/8- then 3/4 then 1 oz. just to save money on shot. I use 1 1/8 oz. of shot in every 12 gauge I shoot and I have been using the same formula for 25 years. If I had one that didn't shoot where I looked I would know right off. I have only had one gun that didn't shoot where I looked. I could tell after a couple of boxes. THAT is the one I patterned, actually. I got rid of it. If I shoot my 20 gauge, I know where it shoots and I use the same reloading formula for that gun. If I can't run 25 straight at trap or skeet, then I know it's me. Not the gun. Sporting clays? A different animal. The guns I hunt with? They shoot where I look and I use the same formula when I hunt that I do when I shoot clay targets. I guess I have always been able to do that. Works for me.

OK Jimmy, I’m confused…you said you’ve always been able to adapt to a way a gun shoots. But you sold a gun that didn’t shoot where you looked. So you couldn’t adapt to that gun?? grin
Nope. It patterned well, too. That was the only gun that never worked out for me. And I couldn't get the thought of patterning it every time I pulled the trigger. So I never patterned a gun again. From then on I figured out a gun by shooting it. Not by patterning it. Very few guys at my club use a patterning board when they get a new gun. They just go out and start shooting. Go figure. 👍
62 2,248 Read More
Re: CVA kit from the 70's HalfaDouble 03/28/24 12:11 AM
I'll send you a pic.
6 140 Read More
Re: CVA kit from the 70's PhysDoc 03/28/24 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
PhysDoc,
Good on you. My dad didn't care much about guns and didn't teach me much about them, but he taught me how to shoot (that was how we learned I was near sighted) and Christmas often included a gun and/or ammo. But at 12 years old, I started helping him on construction jobs. I learned things working for him that helped me other ways, both with guns and my later professional life. My dad died before he was 52, while was in Viet Nam. Because of the time I spent with him, I had a guide to get me through the rest of my life.
You never know when you will go, but your son will cherish the things he learns from you and the time you spend with him. Do you still have the Senaca Falls lathe? If so, that will be a good chance to teach him some very helpful skills. Since it has an unusual leadscrew. and is likely a "change gear" lathe rather than a "quick change", he has a chance to learn more about a lathe than he could learn in a shop class. BTW, the broken tumbler might not have been properly heat treated, another good learning vehicle. Enjoy, I know your son will.
Mike

Thanks Mike for sharing those memories of your father, they were inspiring.

Yes, I still have my dad’s lathe, I hope my son will learn how to use it. The last patent date on it is from the 1890’s. I’ve seen period advertisements that show a treadle version was available. I used the lathe to make a thimble, the ramrod tips, some pins and screws for the pistol and turned down the ends of the ramrod. I think of my dad and the guy who owned before my dad every time I use it.

HalfaDouble do you still have your squirrel rifle, I would love to see a picture.
6 140 Read More
Re: Gauges and payloads Ken Nelson 03/27/24 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
That's why I use the same :load every time I shoot. I don't jump around using 7/8- then 3/4 then 1 oz. just to save money on shot. I use 1 1/8 oz. of shot in every 12 gauge I shoot and I have been using the same formula for 25 years. If I had one that didn't shoot where I looked I would know right off. I have only had one gun that didn't shoot where I looked. I could tell after a couple of boxes. THAT is the one I patterned, actually. I got rid of it. If I shoot my 20 gauge, I know where it shoots and I use the same reloading formula for that gun. If I can't run 25 straight at trap or skeet, then I know it's me. Not the gun. Sporting clays? A different animal. The guns I hunt with? They shoot where I look and I use the same formula when I hunt that I do when I shoot clay targets. I guess I have always been able to do that. Works for me.

OK Jimmy, I’m confused…you said you’ve always been able to adapt to a way a gun shoots. But you sold a gun that didn’t shoot where you looked. So you couldn’t adapt to that gun?? grin
62 2,248 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt BrentD, Prof 03/27/24 10:54 PM
Ouch!

I certainly don't think Merkels or Greeners with three locking mechanisms are over built.
23 537 Read More
Re: Advantages of the top rib extension bolt Drew Hause 03/27/24 10:30 PM
David Trevallion sent me that, and this, pic long ago

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

A 2 3/4" chamber HE was used extensively with 3" 1 3/8 oz. at 1295 fps Super-X 'Record' shells.
23 537 Read More
Re: Holts March 2024 eightbore 03/27/24 10:08 PM
Shhh.
13 508 Read More
Re: 8 ga. load using Longshot 1 /18 oz. shot eightbore 03/27/24 10:06 PM
I don't know anything about Longshot, but Unique under 1 1/8 ounces of lead in an eight gauge is way slow. A much faster powder is called for in a load like that.
3 129 Read More
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.