Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Need parts for case restoration susjwp 03/24/24 09:05 PM
Both are easy to make. George P. may have some on hand. Go to a Tandy store and buy some 3-5 oz leather straps. Trace the old guides or cut to the size need, wet, mold around 1/8 or 1/4” wood, and let dry. Punch some holes for brass screws. Thee was a poster on EBay, from the UK, who sold cases traps. He may have some.

Good luck.
5 403 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Finally ready for Tsavo LRF 03/24/24 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Parabola
Very nice!

I assume it is in .303 (they also came in 8x50R - for India - and .375” x 2 1/2”)

Yes, 303. Its marked on the left side of barrel in front of receiver: 303 2.22 18.5 tons. Also a number of proof marks
5 201 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Finally ready for Tsavo Parabola 03/24/24 07:32 PM
Very nice!

I assume it is in .303 (they also came in 8x50R - for India - and .375” x 2 1/2”)
5 201 Read More
Re: Lead ban in Minnesota? SKB 03/24/24 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by SKB
Common ground.....something you would think would be easier to find on a bbs like this, not so much these days.
Lead by example over easy, right Steve? Do you think these days, common ground is Steve's way or nothing? You and Richards can at least give me a thumbs up, I'll be the only one not smoking a joint.

I have never thought common ground was my way or nothing.

You sure do have a bad habit of assuming how I think, I guess that is your way of leading by example?

Hey, when you have a talent like reading between the lines and connecting the dots, you might as well flaunt it right Craig?

Once a peach, always a peach in your case wink All my best,
Steve
245 7,476 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 HalfaDouble 03/24/24 07:04 PM
Just don't confuse the 360 2 1/4 & 9.3x57R(360) with the 360 Express & 360 #2 Express.
20 419 Read More
Re: Lead ban in Minnesota? BrentD, Prof 03/24/24 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by SKB
Common ground.....something you would think would be easier to find on a bbs like this, not so much these days.
Lead by example over easy, right Steve? Do you think these days, common ground is Steve's way or nothing? You and Richards can at least give me a thumbs up, I'll be the only one not smoking a joint.

No, not the only one.
245 7,476 Read More
Re: Lead ban in Minnesota? craigd 03/24/24 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
245 7,476 Read More
Re: Texas Side by Side Club. Houston, TX ClapperZapper 03/24/24 06:42 PM
That sounds like fun John.

When I get back from Japan, I’ll make it a point to drop down to Houston to shoot a bit.
3 237 Read More
Texas Side by Side Club. Houston, TX arrieta2 03/24/24 06:28 PM
Texas Side by Side Club. Houston, TX. In case some of you have missed my post last year we have a very nice club here in Houston that we only shoot side by side shotguns at sporting clays. We have several events/shoots throughout the year. Some of the places we shoot at are Able Ammo, Texas Premier, Dallas Gun Club, Blackwood Gun Club, Westside Gun club, Joshua Creek and Greater Houston Gun Club. It"s all for fun. The only time we get semi-serious is our premier annual shoot at Great Houston Gun Club. This is where we keep score and award various prizes. We also have a catered lunch served. We just like having fun with the side by side shotguns. Now for the best part. ( Beside being able to shoot with me) Dues are only $75.00. I would be happy to tell you more about it if you wish to contact me. John Boyd of Quality Arms, Houston, TX. You can PM me if you wish or call me direct at 713-818-2971
3 237 Read More
Finally ready for Tsavo LRF 03/24/24 06:24 PM
I have been hunting for a Lee-Speed for some time and finally ran across this one yesterday at a gun show in Sioux Falls SD. It was made by WW Greener on a BSA Lee-Speed. It is quite nice with all the neat attributes including a full rib on the barrel. The best part is the bore and chamber are near mint.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
5 201 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Steve Helsley 03/24/24 06:15 PM
In the early pinfire days, Brazier offered guns on his patent that were signed on the exterior lockplates
and stamped on the receiver flat.
35 1,366 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. SKB 03/24/24 06:01 PM
This is not one of the Rosson self-openers.
35 1,366 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Daryl Hallquist 03/24/24 05:53 PM
Brazier’s name can be found on many guns. I have a Needham needlefire bolt action double that is marked with Brazier on the interior. Also, had a John Dickson hammer gun that was a conversion and marked Brazier Patent. That gun is shown in the Dickson book.
35 1,366 Read More
Re: Al Biesen Mauser 98 30-06 LRF 03/24/24 05:42 PM
Very nice rifle. Back in the late 1970's my uncle and Al were close friends, so when I visited him in Spokane we went over to the shop and met with Al and had lunch. When Al learned I was practicing engraving he shipped his brand new, never used GraverMeister to me to use and play with. Well I never became much of an engraver but the day I spent with Al was a treat that I have long remembered. (Lots of stories and BS over lunch)

I wish I could help you on the engraver question, however I would contact Biesen Custom Guns and maybe Paula can help you out. She is Al's daaughter and was the engraver part of the family. Both Al and Roger have passed.
4 247 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Ted Schefelbein 03/24/24 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by SKB

Better picture of my Rosson.

Rosson had a specific patent issued for a self opening mechanism, applicable to boxlocks and sidelocks, if I am not mistaken.

Is this one of those?

Best,
Ted
35 1,366 Read More
Re: Al Biesen Mauser 98 30-06 Fudd 03/24/24 05:10 PM
Work of art.
4 247 Read More
Re: Lesser name gun makers. Lawrence Kotchek 03/24/24 04:38 PM
I have a 10 Gauge Tipping & Lawdon hammergun that is very nice. Pics in the New Toy thread a few weeks ago. Not English but I seem to have a thing for Henri Pieper or Bayard (same thing sort of) hammer guns, they are becoming an accumulation if not a collection
35 1,366 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hunting with the 9.3x57R/360 Der Ami 03/24/24 04:36 PM
There is a big difference between the black powder and nitro versions of the 360-2 1/4" cartridge.
Mike
20 419 Read More
Re: Loading the 25/ 308 Der Ami 03/24/24 04:28 PM
I prefer fireforming without a bullet, in cases where the donor case is already close to the final length. My previous experience, with the common expander button in common loading dies, shows that significant trimming to "square up" the neck is often required. Expanding a .243 neck to .257 will already shorten a little bit, so unnecessary additional trimming should be avoided. I think I would try sizing a 308 in a 250-3000 die until it just chambers and fireform it w/o bullet. then if the neck in too thick, I would decide whether turning the necks or switching to 260 is better overall. I have plenty 308 brass, but not much 260 or 243. I don't have much trouble with thick necks unless I start with donor cases (like 30-06) that have to be shortened well into the body area. I suspect 250-3000/250 Savage dies can be used to load the .25 Super. They should only need to be carefully adjusted (after smoking the case neck/shoulder) to not set the shoulder back. Buying a new set of 250 dies would likely be cheaper than having custom 25 super dies made, if you don't already have them.
Mike
5 310 Read More
Re: Lead ban in Minnesota? craigd 03/24/24 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by L. Brown
There's always common ground. I doubt we have any anti-hunters here. That's a good point from which to start. Some may have decided that they're not going to shoot lead at all anymore. Others--and I'm one of the others--don't see any problem using lead other than where the law says we have to use nontox. I think we should always question the REQUIREMENT to use nontox when there isn't solid biological evidence. But I'm not going to harass people who CHOOSE to use nontox as long as they don't step over the line and support a total ban on lead.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. That has always been my policy.
I know, Larry, that your comment is reasonable, and likely none of us have gotten through life without being reasonable, or having some degree of decorum. None of what you, me or prof says matters, as our "discussions" are not binding policy.

There's no doubt in my mind, that there are various tiers of science. How many of us would let a heart or brain surgeon, operate on a loved one, if they said, I can remove a complicated tumor, because this graph says, in ten or fifteen years, I predict I'll get it right. I support true science, always, but definitely not profs, whose content of character reveals their political bias. My life does not revolve around the 2nd, but includes every, not some, policy that's imposed or selectively enforced.
245 7,476 Read More
Re: Need parts for case restoration rocky mtn bill 03/24/24 03:30 PM
Mike, Try contacting folks who restore leather luggage. When I needed leather case corners, I found a guy in England who makes them.
5 403 Read More
Re: Garmin Xero C1 Pro Ballistic Precision Chronograph Kip 03/24/24 02:56 PM
I've tested mine with a handful of shells using the "other" and "handgun" settings (changes where it asks you to position the muzzle relative to the chronograph). It read 12 gauge shots consistently but the numbers seemed a tad high, I think that the Doppler effect + muzzle velocity back calculation method that it uses may not work accurately when faced with multiple radar returns like you'd get from the shot column and wad flying out there.
1 127 Read More
Garmin Xero C1 Pro Ballistic Precision Chronograph Tom28ga 03/24/24 02:31 PM
Has anyone been able to use this chronograph testing shotguns shells and, if so, how did you set the chronograph up to accomplish this?
1 127 Read More
Re: New O/U not firing 2nd barrel eightbore 03/24/24 02:13 PM
About 40 years ago, I bought a 682 Beretta 20 gauge that would not work with American shells. Beretta shells worked just fine. Our shells are underpowered compared to the Italian firecrackers.
10 713 Read More
Re: Most ever paid for a parts gun? Ted Schefelbein 03/24/24 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by AGS
https://www.bonhams.com/auction/272...inch-round-brown-damascus-twist-pattern/

I suppose provenance is truly important.

Hit the arrow for lot 10. It brought a mere 1/3 of a million.

I think that is a bit different than a parts gun.

I’ve never actually bought a parts gun. Parts cars were a different thing, I bought a few of those when I actually needed parts off them to finish a project I was working on. I think those days are over, I see people restoring cars I wouldn’t even have considered good parts cars.

Best,
Ted
7 625 Read More
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.