Of late, I find myself deeply troubled when a former shooting friend passes on. I say “ former” because, to a large degree, none of my friends I used to hunt with can do it anymore. I have a bunch of guns left to me by friends and family, I literally don’t have room for another gun, and should liquidate at least a few I don’t use, but, I find myself with a knot in the pit of my stomach when I try to contemplate doing so.

My younger brother is fading away in a nursing home, and for reasons I can’t explain, I have been unable to put any of his guns to use. Somehow, it doesn’t feel right. I have worked on nearly all of them, know them like my own, but, there is a subtle pain that comes from handling them now, knowing in my heart that while he is very much alive, he will never handle them again.

I don’t want for any more guns. I want for more friends that can put them to use, and enjoy a day afield. I never knew how few my hunting partners were until my Dad passed away in 2009. My son will go, if there is nothing else pressing in his world. My wife will tag along on an occasional half day trip. I am blessed with a couple friends left, but, to a one, they are out of state, and only briefly available.

I dread some widow calling me to help her disperse a late friends stuff. I truly do.

Best,
Ted