The nice thing about many tens is that they often got little use and remain in nice shape. My grandfathers Remington short 10, BE is a high condition gun with about 90% of finish remaining. My half brother has owned it for the last 60 years and it has not fired a single shell since he stole it out from under me. Darn brothers think they ought to get what should go to the youngest and best looking grandson.

I just worked out a trade for it’s proper return to me. Traded a Farmall tractor, owned by my grandfather, for the double. With luck, I’ll be able to take it out next year for late season ducks. I think that will be the first time it will be shot since I shot it two times in 1966. Before that it had not been shot since my grandfather bought his A-5 in 1946. As close as I can figure, it has had those nine shells I shot through it in 77 years. As I say low use for any gun. I used Blue Dot powder in Federal hulls cutdown to size with roll crimp. Somewhere I’ve got a box of Alcan or Magtech brass shells I picked at a gun show. If I can find them they would make some great black powder loads, not that the Remington needs black powder, but fun is where you find it these days and shooting black powder hunting is a hoot.