May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (dblgnfix, smlekid, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,373
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I honestly wasn't sure what she wanted me for until I went through a booth with another similar load and was charged way more than my normal two axle toll for the same exit.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Reminded me of the time I was in Oslo a few yrs ago. I headed into town from the airport on the 'freeway' only to find that there was a toll booth just before Oslo. No gate arm, but it had cameras and a lighted automatic sign. Some number of Kronen currency lit up and I scrambled to dig change out of my pocket. After dumping all the change I had into the repository, it was still lit red. I looked at the line behind me and decided I'd just take off thru the red. I think there's still an APB out for me in Norway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It takes two years for the letter to come from Italy, Chuck. Respectful and just cost of the toll, it was a pleasure to pay it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun prices (values) make little sense to me and I guess they are worth what someone will pay. I use Bluebook and Standard Catalog prices as a reference, but even they often show a wide disparity for the same gun in the same condition. I have seen high condition Elsies not move at well under book and low condition Fox or Parkers go at 100%+ prices. Then we see folks do a $2500 Turnbull restoration on a field grade gun that might be worth half that in 100% original condition. I don't get it, unless it may be a case of strong sentimental value, i.e., restoring Dads gun for Fathers Day, etc. I've made comments about "Dick and Craig" who seem to dominate about 1/3 of the ads in GunDigest with guns that seem way overpriced for their advertised condition. Maybe I'm just jealous that they have so much stock, and they must sell at least some of it to pay for all those classified ads. Or maybe they own or work for GunDigest and get free ad space and first crack at incoming ads. There goes the jealousy again. I do take some issue with those who say we should be happy with $4.00 gas and the resulting inflation of everything else just because Europeans pay more. Certainly, there are many factors at play. Declining dollar, increased global demand, (how much gas is a Chinese guy making $15.00 a week buying?), and commodities speculators. Anyone here remember Nelson and Lamar Hunt and what they did to silver and precious metals? Did they perhaps give a roadmap to doing the same with Oil? Then compare other aspects of a Europeans life to ours. Back in 1992, I started a new job and had no vacation for a year, and then one week. I worked a July 4th shutdown with two Swiss technicians, and the one who spoke English was astonished and unbeleiving at my lack of vacation (holiday) time. He told me he got 15 weeks with 12 yrs. seniority. When I asked him how much a new employee such as myself would get at his company in Switzerland, he replied, "Six weeks... in Switzerland, everyone at least six weeks." Knowing Switzerland has nationalized health care and retirement and therefore very high taxes, I asked him about his tax rates. In his heavy French accent, he said, "Oh is very high, very high, maybe feefteen percent." I thought he said fifty percent and he said "No, feefteen, feefteen." So there was I, in the 28% bracket for federal, plus state, local, real estate, school, sales, gas, and a million other taxes, and I'm starting to wonder if we're being given a bill of goods. I later found most of Europe was much the same, in terms of better pay and benefits, more vacation time, and much shorter work weeks. Consider our Automakers buyouts of $140,000 to get rid of older higher paid employees and replace them with $14.50/hr. workers with poor benefits and no pension plan. At the same time Volkswagen of Germany offered 240,000 Euros which was $326,000 U.S., and they wanted to return to a 32 hr. workweek, up from the current 28.5 hr. week. I.G. Metall, their union, went nuts. I could go on for hours, but my point is that we are in deep doo-doo, and the problem is much more complex than paying $4.00 for gas and taking a beating on the Suburban.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, VERY well said, very well said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith- you mentioned the "Dick and Craig" ads that are all over GUN LIST like a cheap suit- I called them ONCE- they had advertised a 1934 Winchester M54 in .270 Win as a SuperGrade-even gave a serial no. which Rule's book put at 1931 mfg. Super Grade came out in 1936-very few M54 SuperGrades extant- now Model 70's-Saw one about a year ago- MI gun show l954 era M70 .270 Win purported "Super Grade" dude was asking $4000 for it: few "problems"- no Super Grade QD sling swivels, no black forearm tip- Pachmayr Black vented pad- and when I asked him to field strip the barrel/receiver group from the stock so I could see the date and letter "S" stamp on the barrel that indictes a "Super Grade" M70- he "flinched"- he stammered- sure it's a Super Grade Mr.. just look at the magazine plate_ Yup- it was marked Super Grade- a l954 M70 with a "borrowed" floorplate from a "parts" M70- the script was the style of a l940's M70 Super Grade- how does that Latin phrase go- "Caveat Empetor?""

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/19/08 10:09 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.