June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, SKB, dblgnfix, battle, prairie ghost, 1 invisible), 278 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,600
Posts546,873
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last year, I bought an old (1880's) damascus barrel H&H in London with fresh 2007 re-proof for 2 3/4" shells. Got it home, the novelty wore off, and I decided to sell it.

A potential buyer has it checked by a respected doublegun smith, who reports there is a spot at about 12" from breech where the wall thickness only measures .016". Yikes!

Now, I don't know what to do. Obviously, I can't ethically sell it to someone without disclosing the wall thickness. Should I sell it as-is and take the hit on the wall thickness, assuming anyone's interested at all? Or send it off to be lined by Teague? Or keep it, assume the boys at the Proof House in London know what they're doing, and shoot it until either it or I (or both, simultaneously, no doubt) bite it?

I'm interested to hear the opinions of the august members of this board. What do you think?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The proof house being a one time thing would not give me the warm and fussies to go out and continue shooting with that wall thickness. I think that you have to do the math and see what makes the most sence. Or you might want to think of something like something like drop in tubes or something like that if you don't like the looks or costs of the lining.

Sorry I don't know what an august member is but after all that typing, I just can't delete it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure who the "august members" are but here's my two sents.

You'd take a big hit from me because It's thinner than I would buy because of the dent factor alone.
I would assume the boys at the proof house know what they're doing when proofing for pressure.

Take a dial caliper and look at .016....12 inches from the breach sounds scary.

First thing I'd do would be to have another "respected doublegun smith" measure the wall thickness.

If he came up with the same .016 12 inches from the breech my second step would be....to do alittle research and find out if I was sold a "fake reproof".
The English proof houses should have records of the "2007 reproof".

If you were sold a fake reproofed gun in London I'm sure the seller would gladly refund your money rather than face the harsh penalties of the Proof house laws.

"cheapskate",
I'd check wall thickness again to be sure, but if there is a spot that thin I'd be nervous. You should consider whether or not it's important to you to have enough fingers to order 10 beers at one time. If the gun is worth the expense, Teague liners are the best thing you could do to preserve it and shoot it safely.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

guess i'm a September member?????
anyway........i'd have it re-measured first. If it truly is 16 no way i'd shoot that. Just get your calipers and dial it to 16 and take a eyeball look for yourself. Not too thick as you will see.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you should have it remeasured. It is unlikely that the wall thickness has diminished since it was proofed. I have measure bbls in the past and found my measurements to be wrong when remeasured.
If you still have the problem after remeasuring, just disclose it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't think he could've been sold a gun with a fake English reproof ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It stood it's ground at the proof house - thats all that counts with them and they don't have x-ray eyes. I'd have another 'smith measure it before you jump thru more hoops.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Joe. Maybe the dealer got rid of it to you when he recognized your accent and realized it would leave the country and that would put an end to his problem. Follow up on Joe's advice.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

How nice is it? What kind of condition? Any pics?

Is it worth Teaguing?

Teaguing is real expensive, especially now.

And are you certain the buyer is telling the truth?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.