I have the Bodinson article too. It's short, but very informative:

"Shotshells: Black Powder vs. Smokeless - Brief Article
Guns Magazine, March, 2000 by Holt Bodinson
Despite widespread warnings to the contrary, it was not uncommon in my youth to see hunters using smokeless shells in their Damascus barreled shotguns. I've always wondered exactly what the pressure difference was between the two propellants. Well, here's some interesting Winchester test data from the 1960s.

The first set of results was based on the objective of achieving the same muzzle velocity between a smokeless and black powder shotshell. Notice the resulting difference in pressures and the greater efficiency of the smokeless powder load.

3 Dr.Eq. 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2 3 Dr.Eq. 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2
Winchester Trap Load Black Powder Shotshell
21.0 grs WC-450-LS 82.0 grs Dupont FFFg
1,202 fps 1,205 fps
9,600 psi 4,900 psi
The objective of the second set of data was to determine what charge of each powder was necessary to achieve a peak chamber pressure of 6,900 psi. Notice the incredible difference in powder charges.

2 1/2 Dr.Eq. 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2 4 Dr.Eq. 1 1/8 oz. #7 1/2
Smokeless Handload Black Powder Handload
16.0 grs. WC-450-LS 109 grs. Dupont FFFg
6,900 psi 6,900 psi
Many of the old Damascus guns are beautiful indeed -- really pieces of gun art. Most can be returned to the field with great effect. Fortunately black powder shotgun shells are readily available from a variety of sources today so be sure to use them.

COPYRIGHT 2000 Publishers' Development Corporation
COPYRIGHT 2000 Gale Group

There are instances of shooters sending their new-fangled guns back to the makers to be retrofitted with damascus tubes, and there are guns which had faux damascus patterns applied, evidently to make them look like a superior product to steel.
RG