On a very subjective level, damascophobia has a strong hold on many of us. I wouldn't suggest that anyone begin shooting damascus without benefit of the (sound) advice of those who have so done and an examination by a competent gunsmith (with some damascus experience). I'm not a noted risktaker but have fired at least a couple hundred rounds thru four damascus doubles (two Lefevers, a Syracuse Arms, and 89 Remington Arms. None of those rounds produced over 7Kpsi average service pressure and the first few were fired by "remote control". The day of the nth round hasn't arrived for me; maybe it will. So, yea, verily I say unto you, there is the hope gained from Bell's articles to suggest that a rabbit's foot and crossed fingers may be enuf to get away with it and tell the tale. Could there be exceptions to a grand generalization such as: These fifteen didn't rupture so most damascus guns are perfectly safe with SAAMI pressure loads or even proof or accidental overloads.[?] Yeh, I'd bet there are. Unfortunately, that's what "Finding out for Myself" means.

jack