May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fudd, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 266 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,554
Posts546,264
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79787 01/27/08 06:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Check out what I came across today:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Daly_1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Daly_2.JPG

It's Charles Daly hammerless gun #98. The gun is in all original condition with lot of finish. Sorry about the lousy pics. It's a 12g with 28" damascus bbls, extractors, and a round-knobbed pistol grip its original butt plate. There were no Lindner marks on this gun that I could see.

Overall, it was is great shape. There was some frosting & pitting the the damascus bbls, but they OK. The gun was a bit loose and it was cracked through the head of the stock, but that was it.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, did you get it? Sounds nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did it have the Brevet stamp on the breech face?
Any other stampings or engraved words anywhere?
Is it for sale, still?
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah - A & D Brevete on the breach face.

I didn't see anything else, other than the serial #s and what appeared to be some bbls numbers (there were 3 digit, starting with a 4). The serial # (98) was on the bbls, too.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole world of Daly lovers thank you.
This is great info.Not important that it is not a Lindner. It is a Daly.
Is the gun available for me to see it?
Please email me.Here is the addy if your have lost it.
jmann@worldpath.net
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

What are we looking at here? For those of us less informed about Daly. Why "Brevete" on a Daly?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM:

I don't know why, but the Lindner Daly's I have all have an inverted/upside-down "Anson & Deeley Brevete" on the standing breech.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 01/27/08 10:52 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John-

I sent you the info. I did not buy it. It's all yours.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked at and handled the gun several times, couldn't get past the 12 1/2" (maybe not that short, but very short) stock. The gun does have a lot of dull color on the action, but needs some cleaning up all over. "Loose" and "Cracked through the head of the stock" slowed me down a bit too. It is a good project gun and potentially a great shooter. The serial number is the best part.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked at this gun also. It is an interesting piece.

This gun belongs to a group of very early hammerless Prussian Dalys that have no makers mark. The serial numbers of this early block of unmarked hammerless guns is in the 1 - low 200s range. I have a my theory of who made them, but it is just that. I do not believe Heinrich Lindner made these guns as he was making some hammerless Prussian Daly guns for SD&G at the time and these guns bear A&D brevete patent use numbers that show they were made concurrently with the unmarked guns. IMO it does not make sense that he would mark some of his guns and not others.

We do not know who made these guns. My best guess, and it is just that, is that it was possibly his Dad, Georg Lindner, a master Suhl gun maker in his own right. I have absolutely no proof. My theory revolves around the age of Heinrich Lindner at the time and the SD&G business relationship. I realize it is pretty flimsy evidence, but when I asked myself the question, "who is the most likely candidate to have brought young Heinrich in on the lucrative Daly work?", my first thought was his Dad. I could go on here, but that is the gist of the theory.

In regard to the Anson & Deeley Brevete mark - they are found on Prussian Daly hammerless guns (both Lindner-made guns and "other"-made Daly hammerless guns) up until approx. 1890. They are always seen in combination with a patent use number showing payment to Westley Richards for use of the A&D design.

The confusing part has always been the use of the word "brevete" (which means patented.) Why is the term not in German instead of French? I don't know enough of European patent law at the time to really comment. And no, I don't think this means they were made in France <g>. I've recorded patent use numbers between 65 - 3000+ on Daly hammerless guns.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.