June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (MattH, battle, SKB, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 278 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,549
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79085 01/23/08 05:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Grateful for location of gunshops in the Syracuse, NY area and as far north as Watertown/Ft. Drum. Browsing for interesting American doubles and British double rifles

Regards

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

The pickings are slim around Syracuse as far as retail shops catering to fine doubles. If you happen to find yourself heading north of Syracuse, I'm located in Oswego which is about 45 minutes north. I have a little stockmaking/restoration business and would be glad to offer you some coffee and conversation. I only have one finished double for sale at the moment, everything else belongs to my cherished customers and is in varying states of repair/restoration. There's always something neat to look at! Just give me some lead time
so I can be sure to be around and set aside some time.

Best,

Dan May

cgs #79264 01/24/08 03:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dan,

Thanks for the kind invitation. If the 10th Mountain Division seminar permits I'll give a call as far in advance as practicable and try to stop in for coffee, perhaps 2 February on the way to the Syracuse Airport?

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Long ago there was Butternut Sport Shop, I believe on Lodi Street. I bought an Ithaca 37 there way back in 1976. He always seemed to have some rare or unique items.

Another is Ra-Lin's, which I'm sure is still around.

Sad that a historical firearms town like Syracuse is now pretty much void of firearms dealers. Of course, there's always Dick's. Yeah.

Kind regards,

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

I should be available on the 2nd until early afternoon, let me know if that works for you.

GunPlumber,

Both Ra-lin's and Butternut Sport Shop are still in operation. Us double guys have kind of given up on them for any goodies that
interest us.

You're right, it's sad that Syracuse doesn't have more catering to doubles. Once the home of Lefever, original home of L.C. Smith - makes one wonder. Not even a museum dedicated to either
of those companies! Ain't right.

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh Man, Watertown NY (the coldest spot in NY) in January I feel your goosebumps! When I lived in Albany NY and went to SUNY at Buffalo I never made a stop in Syracusa. They did have very good gun show there sponsored by NYS Firearms Collectors Assn. The only dedicated double gun display came from "brown wooden" shed behind K-mart in Elmira NY (aka Elmira Gun Co.).

Sidelock
Sidelock

There used to be a decent gun shop in Parrish, NY just off Interstate 81 north of Syracuse.

And I'm sure you're aware that if you're in the neighborhood of the east end of Lake Ontario; Oswego, Fulton (home of L. C. Smith, Hunter Arms), Pulaski, etc, watch out for the snow.

They got 2 to 3 feet or more there in the last two days.

Bill Jolliff

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Remington still has their museum open in Ilion, just west of Utica. My fingers are getting cold just typing about these places. Brrrr.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. Yes, I've checked the extended forecast for Watertown. Doesn't look as bad as it could be...

Hopefully the weather will permit me to foray into the Beef and Brew in Watertown from Ft. Drum for some serious prime rib...

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Remington Museum and plant tour is worth the time if it's on the way ..... I'd check for winter hours first. I spent a little time at Drum in the winter many years ago. It took Arctic gear to feel comfortable.

Al

Last edited by Bouvier; 01/25/08 10:11 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.