June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, irs), 188 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,600
Posts546,867
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#74601 12/29/07 04:08 PM
B Frech Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an Ithaca Lewis model double that is in excellent condition. Everything functions properly, except that the toplever returns to the center position when the gun is open. The bolt is tapered on the top, so when the gun is closed, the barrel lug pushes the bolt back and the toplever goes to the right and then comes back to center when the gun is completely closed. Is this the way the gun is supposed to function, or should the lever stay to the right with the bolt retracted when the gun is open?

Walt Snyder states in his book that the Crass and Lewis Models are very similar in their internal design. There is a photo of a Crass Model receiver with the barrels removed, and the lever is locked to the right as you would expect. Since my gun is over 100 years old and looks to have never been apart, is it possible that there is just a broken spring or a frozen part somewhere that is the culprit? Has anyone ever had one of these apart? Does anyone have a Lewis Model gun, and if so, does the lever stay to the right when the gun is open? Thanks for any info you can provide. Bill

LCSMITH

B Frech

I have one, and the top lever stay to the right when the gun is open.
I will get some pics a little later
Casey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill:

I would say that your flat spring is broken or loose on the bottom on the receiever which fits into a slot in a small cylinder which is pushed up by the flat spring and keeps the toplever to the right when open. Remove the trigger plate from the lower part of the receiver & you will see the spring. Or if you look down into the lower part of the action, you should see it. Let me know if you need more info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/29/07 06:16 PM.
B Frech Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey - I saw the flat spring to which you're referring and thought it might have something to do with the problem. The spring is touching the triggerplate where it looks like the barrel lug would put it when the gun is closed. If I remove the barrels and lift up on the spring, should this "lock" the toplever to the right? I can't see where the spring is attached. Is it attached to the triggerplate, and if so, where? Any special precautions when removing the triggerplate, such as spring loaded parts flying, etc.? Thanks. Bill

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill:

The spring is held in place by one of the floor/trigger plate screws. I've have seen on more than one occasion that the floor plate screw became loose and the spring slipped out of the notch in the side of the small vertical cylinder. Keeping the action inverted, loose the trigger plate screws and tap the plate with a brass or soft hammer and GENTLY see if the plate can be removed. Repeat the tapping. If it has been sometime before it has been cleaned, old oil and "stuff" may make the removal a little difficult. Since you've removed the screws, the spring and small cylinder may be displaced when you get inside. Email me if you have questions.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/29/07 09:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds to me like the cylinder part isn't engaging?

B Frech Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey - removed the floorplate, but I could see before doing so that the cylinder or pin that stops the bolt is missing. Also, the spring looks a little flat, but I can probably bend it to work if, for some reason the temper is not gone. I can probably make another pin (looks to be 1/8"). Do you know if the pin is flat on the side that stops the bolt, or is it round it's entire length? The action was very dirty and looks to have 100 years of crud in it. I was hoping that the pin was just stuck, but no such luck. Thanks again. You've been very helpful. Bill

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill:

I failed to mention that on page 39 of Walt's "Ithaca Gun" book, there is a cut-away view or depiction of the spring & cylinder.

The cylinder might still be wedged in the receiver somewhere or it fell out upon being breeched. I have purchased numerous Ithaca parts from Numrich(Gun Parts) & I might have one, or they still have one. I will dissassemble one and get the measurements. Email me at ellenbrs@bellsouth.net

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/30/07 10:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CASEY C._dup1
B Frech

I have one, and the top lever stay to the right when the gun is open.
I will get some pics a little later
Casey

Promises...promises...just another post where Casey can't keep his word

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think he's stalking yOu Casey...carefull he's getting ready to pounce.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.