The gun isn't a Darne-it doesn't say Darne on it. That nugget is a freebie, since, every catalog I have on Darne guns going back to 1909 trumpets the fact that Darne guns always say Darne on them, somewhere.

And, if a gun with a sliding breech isn't marked Darne, it is a clone. That is nugget two.

Nugget number three is, it is not a Charlin. A Charlin does not have an axle that passes between the sides of the sliding breech. The reason it doesn't have an axle, is, a Charlin is not toggle locked, and the opening lever doesn't need to be mounted to the breechblock, and, is not-it is mounted in the lower watertable metal that mounts the stock, and allows the breech to slide on. I have seen (in France) one Darne action that was marked Charlin, which, the Bruchets assured me was most definitely built by Darne in the early 1960s. They owned what was left of Charlin by then, having purchased it in 1955.

While I'm sure there are people that believe a large treasure trove of information exists/ will be forthcoming in a book about French guns, this ignores the basic fact that France has suffered through two periods of unfriendly occupation right in the middle of the golden age of gunmaking. Records were lost, destroyed, stolen and outright obfuscated during both periods of occupation. I tried some basic research at the libraries in Lyon and St. Etienne when I was there, and almost nothing I could use was to be found. I wish I could tell you exactly who built this gun, where and at what time frame it was built, but, I can't, and anyone else who might is AWOL, at present. Until that guy shows up, we can endlessly speculate about the above, or, delve into some simple facts about low grade sliding breech guns in general, low grade clones, in particular, of which no one should argue that this gun most definitely is, and when quantities of money that involve things like restocking should be thrown at those guns.

Routinely, I get calls from people that have already purchased basket case guns of various sliding breech manufacturers, wanting to know, how much they should have paid (late for that train) and how much it will cost to get it barrels, a new breech, or a new stock, or, what have you. It is always a sad thing to inform them that most of the time, you just can't get there from here. It is inpractical, almost universally so, to spend the money it takes to repair a low grade slider with the above problems.

Can it be done? Why yes. But, it usually shouldn't. One can find functional, low grade sliding breech guns for not a whole lot of money.

Since our hero has taken it upon himself to rescue this gun, actual facts about who built it, when, and where, will be, at this point in the guns history and condition, no more than anecdotal-there is, no warehouse in France, fillled to the brim with new, fitted, checkered and finished Abielle stocks, ready to bolt on to his gun, allowing him to go hunting after a friendly visit from the UPS man. The above facts, which our friend Robert takes such glee in pointing out that no-one has provided, would be interesting-and, useless to the rescue of this gun.

Got that, Robert? Knowing who built it, where, or when isn't going to help get him a 25 straight patch with it. The man said he wanted to use it. That, to me, is the most relevant part of this discussion.

What might be helpful, would be providing a bit of guidance on the economic realities of attempting to put a gun like this back in service. That, is what I did. I don't want a call from anyone with a low grade Darne clone, that says Abielle, Schmidt Frerés, Charlin, or boogity, boogity, boo, for that matter, on the opening lever, who has more than parts gun money into it, anytime in the near future, looking for a stock. Or barrels. Or a sliding breech.

Because I get those calls. And I hate it. Because someone always ends up disappointed. Hurt and disappointed if a dealer put the screws to them, which, happens more than I like, also. More than I hate not being able to tell him those interesting, but, as I pointed out, useless, to the task he is considering, facts that you are so hung up on, and can't provide, either.

In the event that the discussion continues on a civil note (past experience tells me it will disintegrate shortly, but, hope springs forth, you know) I would very much appreciate it if you could provide the Charlin patent pertaining to sling swivel attachment on plume barrel guns, which, you offered, but, haven't provided.

I'd like to see it. It sounds interesting.
Best,
Ted