June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, bushveld, 2 invisible), 314 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,056
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, well its time for me to buy MY Christmas present. I've narrowed it down to 2 guns, but need some help. Here they are:

1) Victor Sarasqueta SLE, CC, St grip, DT

2) Webely & Scott 701, St grip, DT

both are in 12b, good shape, weight about the same and the price, within a couple hundred.

Buying thru a dealer here on the net, so cam't really handle them.

So, help me out what would you pick and why?

Thanks so much!!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do the Webley - a long standing firm with lots of heritage and tradition - and no one does work-a-day boxlocks quite like the Brits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I'd go Webley for the same reasons as Lowell's but I'd sure like to hear what our brothers across the water have to say.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You should find out what the WS is proofed to and chamber lengths, determining if modern loads will be appropriate for it. The VS would not likely have had the initial quality of the WS but current condition of both and whether or not you'll have to load for the WS will be the issues, IMO.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/11/07 10:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Expressing and opinion on a make of gun is fraught with pitfalls.
It is the gun that one should have in hand and an opinion of that only.
But, I am game !!!LOL
A clue is in your posting.
They are in about the same condition. They are very close in price.
One is much older than the other and from a company that has a very old history of building very good to fine guns.
The other is from a company that is only three generations old and some have had a history of soft metal parts that were not properly hardened.
I think, knowing nothing more, I would go with the Scott unless there were a nice SKB out there to buy for probably less money.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Without question, Webley & Scott 701 because you can always find a Victor Sarasquet later if you choose so.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

All things being equal (condition, etc), I think the Webley is a better gun.

Why? Because it's British - hahaha.

Make sure you have a good 'smith look it over before you buy it, though (send it to him and have him inspect it, go by what he says).

There a lot of things that can be wrong with an English gun - chambers, bores, walls, proofing, etc. If any of those are off, the gun falls in value very fast.

This is what I ask dealers to spell out for me. I ask them to email me their response so that I can have it in writing (a lot of time they'll ask you to call them for the info):

-Bore sizes
-Wall thicknesses
-Chamber length
-How was proofed? Was it reproofed? Is it in proof?
-Are the ejectors properly timed?
-Is the gun tight and on the face?
-Are there any dents, dings, or bulges in the bbls? Any pitting?
-Are there any cracks in the stock?
-Do all the serial #s match?
-What is or isn't all original - bbls, wood, action, bits (toplever, triggerguard)?

If the dealer balks on any of these queries, I would pass on the gun and find another one (and another dealer).

And I'm confused about the 701 model distinction. What is the difference between a 700 and a 701? Is it drop points on the stock? I don't know. The Crawford & Whatley book is a bit vague on this.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spanish could build a wonderful gun, but then again...
I'd pick an upper-end Spanish gun over anything from France, Germany, Italy and Belgium.
Some of their Brit Sle copies are very good indeed, and wouldn't be out of place on the grousemoors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 701 was the highest grade gun of the 700 series, which went 700-702-701 from lowest to highest grade. All made post-war. If the $ are about the same, given typical pricing on the used market, either that's one heck of a V. Sarasqueta or else the 701 isn't in very good shape. Not that the Sarasquetas aren't good guns, but they don't seem to command big $ compared to currently manufactured Spanish sidelocks.

Assuming both in good shape, I'd go with the 701 also--unless it's 2 1/2" and you don't want to deal with that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nothing about stock dimensions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.