June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (R. Glenz, Der Ami, Marks_21, Jimmy W, MattH, smlekid), 369 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,035
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#70750 12/09/07 11:33 PM
GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I noticed Galazan has a couple pages of Damascus knives in their catalog. Has anyone bought one? How was the quality? Do you know where they are made?

GregSY #70787 12/10/07 09:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 99% sure they are the same offereings as Damascus USA had back in the early '90's. There was a company (I think owned by Fain Edwards, in GA or somewhere like that. been too many years!) who sold Damascus blanks to Damascus USA, as well as several knife makers supply houses and other knife companies. Not sure who owns the company today, but suspect that is where it comes from.

I would not buy one of the Galazan knives for a couple of reasons. For one, I am pretty sure none are forged to shape, but rather ground from a Damascus blank.

The other reason is the Damascus in those knives is not that good. It is "OK," but nothing to write home about. I mean that both in pattern and materials.

I look at the Galazan Damascus knives as the Belgian W. Richards of the knife world. They are imitations of true handmade, custom knives.

There is more BS about Damascus knives floating around than just about anything in the sporting world. I used to make Damascus and met several top bladesmiths. It is very difficult to make a Damscus knife perform as well as a knife forged from any one of a number of plain tool steels, much less actually get one to perform better.

The mystique of Damscus is about as accurate as low brass shells are low pressure, Damscus shotgun barrels are dangerous, black powder shells are low pressure, and any ofther shotgun lore that has been passed down as gosbel with no search for the truth. Writers pass down the old wives tales and they get regurgitated ad nauseum.

If you are really wanting a Damascus blade, I would start with the American Bladesmith Society. There are new and part time makers there who would have very good deals on custom Damascus knives. Depending on what you want, you may have to spend 25-50% more than the Galazan knives, but you would literally end up with 3X-5X the knife. It is like finding a gunmaker or engraver who is just starting out: their talent can outrun their ability to charge market prices.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

I totally agree, if you just want something to look at, the Galazon are fine, but you will be dissapointed with the edgeholding performance.Really good damascus is a very specialized forging skill, as is forging the final blade.The quality of the steels and alloys going into the damascus is the key.
Best,
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, that was ca. 1989 so not that many years ago. I picked up couple pieces at closeout price while chillin with friends at upstate NY mall. It's marked Parker Edwards Jacksonville AL. I gave one as gift to one of my best pals, but I still have second one. It seems to be quality piece with what they called India stag horn handle (they also had stained bone (red, yellow, green, and rose wood). A thin coat of olive oil keeps oxidation off them blades. Not a bad knife for about $50.
Back in those days pocket knife with damascus blades was not "dime a dozen" item like it seems to be today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Marc on this one. Damascus knives today are all about show. If I go hunting, I take a Boker 440C knife. They hold an edge and are very rust resistant.

GregSY #70804 12/10/07 11:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I received one as a gift a few years ago. It is by far the worst knife I have ever used. If you are looking for a fancy butter knife I think you have found it.

J.B. #70805 12/10/07 11:37 AM
GregSY Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. Glad I didn't order one.

GregSY #70811 12/10/07 12:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who are current Damascus blade knifemakers that are making acceptable quality blades and knives at prices we would pay?

GregSY #70813 12/10/07 12:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I am sure here are some fine examples of real Damascus in a whole range of prices.

Some are 60 layers of SS that will put you back around a grand. Others only 15 layers for around the prices of the Galazan specimens.

Japanese Damascus

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
JayCee #70819 12/10/07 01:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone from the ABS has proven they know how to make a good knife. It all comes down to style after that. I like James Batson's knives the most, but that is purely a FOrd vs. Chevy thing.

Had the great pleasure of meeting and speaking with Bill Moran one time. In many ways, he was truly the father of bladesmithing in general, and modern "Damascus" in particular. Technically, the real "true" Damascus would likely be Wootz steel, but that is getting way too detailed for a talk on a shotgun board.

Plus it is another historical debate. I am afraid to even post this much, as Robert CHambers will likely chime in and say he has some piece of paper he was able to read with the help of his Rosetta Stone and secret decoder ring. It spells it all out plain as day, but of course if any of us saw it, he would have to kill us. THen he will call me names and whine a lot. I find that so becoming in a grown man.

But I digress.

Here is a link for the ABS:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/

On a side note, i am going to build a power hammer next year and start making a little Damascus again. I really miss standing in front of a forge.

edited to add: I just look at the links of bladesmiths on the ABS site. Did not see Dr. Batson on there. I did see J.D. Smith has a link. That guy is to knives what Steve Heilmann is to Mausers. Well, at least I used to love his style. Have not seen his (or anyone's) work in years, but plan on studying his site this week. His work always moved me, plus his writing on his views of art and life were spot on in my book.

Last edited by Marc Stokeld; 12/10/07 01:21 PM.

skunk out
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.