Sure, post the patent-I wonder how it was possible to patent something that had been in practical use for half a century previously.

Sling swivels attached to the upper rib, on a gun that didn't have a lower rib were not a new idea in 1949. A plume rib barrel, by definition, doesn't have a lower rib, which, I'm guessing you assume I didn't know. As a matter of fact, while one might assume a "band" barrel, which featured a raised rib was only available with an underrib, this was not the case-and, it was still called a "band" barrel, when built sans underrib, not "plume". So, what exactly is your point? Since you are good with the posting feature, go to the 1909, 1936, or 1948 Darne catalogs and post for us exactly how the Darne plume ribs equipped with sling swivels differ from the Charlin patent of 1949. Sling swivels, along with the retractable sling, and the bretelle Darne were all available options prior to 1949.

On a Darne gun without an underrib, a little ramp is soldered onto the bottom of the top rib, and a sling swivel is installed. Not sure how anything like that could be patented.

I'd love to see it, and know exactly what was being patented. Bad news is, we likely will need Larry to translate it, since, more than likely, it is in French, and the devil is in the details.

You know Robert, I thanked you for posting a decent picture, and simply pointed out that the photo posted was not a Darne. I've burned enough hours on the computer and the phone trying to get people to understand that one simply can't look at a sliding breech gun and call it a Darne, or buy parts for it, for example, just because it is a sliding breech gun, and it has the word Darne on it. The "pompous" comment was intended for general consumption, and not specifically aimed at anyone, and certainly not you. I thought I made it clear that I believe I have more to learn when I pointed out I hadn't seen that exact spelling, and would love to know more about the gun.

Sorry if you took offense.

Since I'm not up for a repeat of the post a while back that forced Dave to pull rank and order better manners to be displayed, or else, if Mr. Beagledogxxx has specific questions, and perhaps a photo or two, especially of the barrel flats, feel free to send them along to tedjs@usfamily.net.

I love to see them, and can likely make sense of the information on them for you.
Best,
Ted