June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, NCTarheel, journeymen, 1 invisible), 441 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,590
Posts546,774
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Considering all things (shootability, collector value and cool factor) what would you suggest in getting these barrels functional?

Here are the facts. (all measurements performed by Pete Mazur using a Delta Ultrasonic PX-7 Gauge)

Left Tube Right Tube

Bore *.741 .732

Muzzle .700 .731

Choke .041 .001

Minimum Wall .040 .043

Wall @ Muzzle .060 .0455

*Bore dia. @ 9" from breach .741, @18" from breach .739, @24"-27" from breach .736.

Report:

Left Tube- Very smart dents 21" on top of tube that can be polished out.
Right Tube- Several dents 24" on top of tube that have been poorly raised. These dents must be repaired if this gun is to be shot.

These barrels are in very good over-all condition. PM

If both bores were opened to .742 it would add .010 choke to the current cyl choked right tube. Opening the left choke to .712 would leave a .030 choke. 010/030 chokes are a pretty nice combination. The draw back is reducing min wall thickness to .033 on the right tube and .050 at muzzle on left tube.

U.S. ANS Z299.2 Maximum Bore Diameter is .745, England 1954 is .750 and Germany 1939 is .7323

It is a bit barrel heavy so I have no problem taking some metal off here and there IF it does not jeopardize the safety of the gun. But I have no clue as to the minimum wall thickness for Damascus steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Providing there are no cracks where the dents have been lifted and you are not planning to put magnum steel loads through this gun, or something similarly unsuitable, then minimum wall thicknesses of above 0.030" should be perfectly safe for all normal loads.
I have successfully nitro re-proofed Damascus tubes for 2 3/4" cartridges down to MWT of 0.014", although I naturally wouldn't recommend it as a regular pastime!
The problem with MWT's below 0.020" is the minimal reserve for lapping out further repairs and, in extreme cases, the danger of blockage bulges/bursts.
If the report was written by someone who knows how to use their gauges then I would get the work done that you describe and start to enjoy a Harkom (?) with unusually thick barrel walls for its age.
People get terribly jumpy about Damascus, without good reason in my humble opinion. All things being equal, it is as good as steel unless there is a serious and invisible occlusion and frankly, unless it has never been used, that is very unlikely a 100 years on from manufacture

Sidelock
Sidelock

The answer may be influenced by factors other than just dimensions:

Value of the gun - is it a Purdey or JABC?
Is there an historical connection? Grandpa's gun?
Will the money spent put you into the gun for more than the resulting gun would be worth? Do you care?

OP Offline

The cost of the gun was minimal so cost to repair are of no concern.

Toby,

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.