June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (ithaca1, Jeremy Pearce), 527 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,590
Posts546,774
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

There is an artilcle by Charles Fergus that states "there are reports of two inch shells severely damaging 2 1/2 guns: apparently the wads can tumble and become lodged in the longer chambers." Thoughts? Should you not use 2 inch shells in 2 3/4 guns? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't say that- I make my own 2" shells and have never had a problem - YET. I'll check from now on, but I don't see haw it could happen. I also make 2 3/8 shells for my old 2 7/8 10ga SxS's. Haven't had a problem there - Yet. Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, source of the article please?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, we shoot 2 3/4" shells in guns with 3 1/2" chambers quite regularly, so it seems counterintuitive to worry about 2" shells in 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" chambered guns. In fact, I have a friend who reloads 2" shells which he shoots in 12's with longer chambers quite regularly. Maybe a problem with the old-style felt or cork wads? Otherwise I can't see why it should be a concern.

Wouldn't a longer chamber than shell length be the same as having extended forcing cones? Considering the pressure pushing a wad down the barrel and the short distance in chamber, it seems highly unlikely you could have a tumbling wad. Don't think a plastic "tulip" wad can tumble in that space. Also highly unlikely a felt wad would (or could) either unless it was so extremely thin in width that it collapsed, in which case pressure would drop and the felt wad would simply be pushed out. Can't imagine a felt wad thick enough to build up pressure that would also tumble in a longer chamber.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Mike McIntosh mentioned it in an article in Sporting Classics a few years ago. Perhaps the Birmingham Proof House could advise.

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right. McIntosh implied a problem with two-inch shells but never followed with an explanation.

gomiata Offline OP
OP Offline

Article was in Shooting Sportsman Magazine a few issues ago. The article was about 2 inch game guns. I am flying out to do some pheasant hunting - will quote exact issue when I return in a week. I love the 2 inch shells in my 12 bore but now not sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go: It will depend on the gun. Some 2-inchers are still surprisingly hot, so a gun that requires or at least deserves light loads might not be the best candidate. Otherwise, though, I can't see how modern shells could be a problem in longer chambers; as Larry points out, we regularly shoot 2.75-in. shells in 3 and 3.5-in. chambered guns with no adverse effects. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

'Urban Legend' stemming from the early 1900's and the introduction of the 2" type shell and case. Gets repeated every generation and the source is lost. Of course everyone believes the Legend and it gets repeated 'ad nauseam'.
I routinely use 2" 12 gauge GameBore in my 12 bore Darne and of course in my Brit 2".-Dick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.