I can't recall where it was, but about 15-20 years ago I read an article that warned reloaders not to use old plastic wads. Supposedly, there are chemicals such as phthalates and other plasticizers added to the plastic in wads and other products that make them soft and pliable. Supposedly, these chemicals degrade or dissipate over time causing old plastic to become brittle and stiff. I never saw that warning about old wads repeated here or anywhere else, but have thought about it. I was reminded of this in comments made by tw, Shotgunjones, and Stan in the current thread concerning Pressure Variance Between Fibre and Plastic Wads.

Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
Originally Posted by tw
Different FWIW, issue encountered several years ago was with some older AA12 wads that had become brittle in their original packaging. The wad fingers would snap off if tested by hand. I was scoring very poorly with them even tho they 'sounded' normal. Went to the grease plate and discovered that they were apparently shattering and turning into molten plastic by the burning powder that was blown up into the shot and leaving the bbl. as a semi-solid projectile, much like the old classic 'whistler' one sometimes got from a paper hull loaded too many times w/with too many pin holes in it and everything from the brass head forward went out the bbl. usually making a whistling noise when it did so. Solution to that issue is to put any wads whose petals are brittle in the trash and do not load them.

I can corroborate that. My experience was with the WAAF114 and a Winchester Ball Powder. The wads were about 10 years old and looked and felt fine. They left melted plastic in the bore. I've used Claybuster and Remington wads twice that age with no such issues.

I don't load fiber wads as I have no application for them. This thread is however interesting.

I wonder how much the crush section or lack thereof plays a part. Seems like gas sealing might be only a part of it.

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I too have had old plastic wads to become brittle and "rotten", when in the original plastic bags. No particular brand is suspect.

Another thing that prompted me to start this Thread was a stop at a local Flea Market last week. A vendor had a bunch of reloading supplies for sale. He had Five 25 lb. bags of Lawrence Brand Magnum and Chilled shot. I asked the price, and he said "$25.00 a bag, or $100.00 if you take it all." That was an easy decision. He also offered me a large box of Win. AA and Federal once fired empties in 20, 16, and 12 ga. for an additional $10.00, but I told him I didn't really need those. He then threw them in for free because he didn't want to take them home. I gave him the $100.00 for the shot, which was 3 bags of #8 and 2 bags of #7 1/2, and he then threw in another free bonus, which was 3 full bags of 12 ga. and 16 ga. Remington wads. They look and feel OK, but I have no idea how old they are. I always stock up on ammo and components when I find them cheap, so I don't have to pay inflated prices when Anti-Gun Democrats cause shortages or destroy the value of our dollars. So how old is too old?

I'm interested in hearing and learning more about this. I would think if wads can become brittle from age in the original plastic bag, then it could also happen to the wads in old loaded ammunition, where it would be impossible to see or feel without breaking down the shells. If nothing else, it could be a convenient excuse for some to use after missing an easy shot at a grouse.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.