Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Some points I would make concerning the report of the shooter who sent his report to bushveld ........... I disagree that 7500 psi is not low pressure (for shotshells). It is! Especially so as compared to SAAMI pressure loads that are normally sold OTC. And, also as compared to period shotshells loaded with nitro for black. Secondly, the reporter seems to equate pressure with recoil. That is ridiculous. Recoil is NOT a function of pressure, as a stand alone. IF higher pressure results in higher velocities, with stout payloads, then recoil is affected.

If 7500 psi is not considered low pressure in shotshells, what is? I load shotshells as low as 5900 psi, but just because it isn't sub-7000 doesn't mean it isn't considered low pressure. Nobody asked, but IMO, low pressure is anything from 8000 psi down. Maybe we should begin by defining "standard pressure shotshells". What are they? They are in the 10,500 - 11,500 psi range. Now ......... define "low pressure" for yourself.

I don't often agree with Stan, but he is right on all counts in my book. Whether 7500 is low, is subjective. It may be low enough. Then again, it may not. For a lot English guns I have owned, I would say it is low enough. But not for all of them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]