Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
So, if you have to get them serviced or worked on, where do you send them? Is there a service department here in the United States? And so many of you spoke about the triggers.....do you just take them to the local gunsmith to have trigger work done? Or do you send them back to the factory customer service shop?

Jimmy, my answer to this question has to be a tiny bit roundabout, as I have never owned a CZ. But I do own two other Turkish doubles .......a Dickinson and a Yildiz. Both came with hard triggers, in the 9 lb. range. Being anal about triggers I had to do something about them. My Dickinson went to the best shotgun trigger man I know of in the USA, Phillip Crenwelge in Emory, TX. I did the Yildiz myself. The Dickinson has double triggers and the Yildiz has a single trigger with barrel selector. I had done considerable trigger jobs in the past and felt confident I could do the Yildiz, and it being such an inexpensive gun I didn't stand to lose much monetarily if I failed. It turned out beautifully and has stood the test of time for some 12 years, or so, of use. The Dickinson came back from Phillip with great trigger pulls, much more in keeping with what i wanted in a lightweight .410.

If someone can get an acceptable trigger job from the CZ service center I'd go for it, if it's free. If not, I'd not hesitate to send it straight to Phillip. He's just consistently great at what he does.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
So, if you have to get them serviced or worked on, where do you send them? Is there a service department here in the United States? And so many of you spoke about the triggers.....do you just take them to the local gunsmith to have trigger work done? Or do you send them back to the factory customer service shop?

Jimmy, my answer to this question has to be a tiny bit roundabout, as I have never owned a CZ. But I do own two other Turkish doubles .......a Dickinson and a Yildiz. Both came with hard triggers, in the 9 lb. range. Being anal about triggers I had to do something about them. My Dickinson went to the best shotgun trigger man I know of in the USA, Phillip Crenwelge in Emory, TX. I did the Yildiz myself. The Dickinson has double triggers and the Yildiz has a single trigger with barrel selector. I had done considerable trigger jobs in the past and felt confident I could do the Yildiz, and it being such an inexpensive gun I didn't stand to lose much monetarily if I failed. It turned out beautifully and has stood the test of time for some 12 years, or so, of use. The Dickinson came back from Phillip with great trigger pulls, much more in keeping with what i wanted in a lightweight .410.

If someone can get an acceptable trigger job from the CZ service center I'd go for it, if it's free. If not, I'd not hesitate to send it straight to Phillip. He's just consistently great at what he does.
đź‘Ť I'll probably have to do that. I'm barely qualified to shoot the gun. Let alone repair it. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 09/01/23 09:20 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen quite a few of these lately in the gun stores. The Sharptail and the Bob white. I have also been reading about them, but there are a lot of mixed reviews. For the price, I was wondering if they are okay. They look pretty nice but you can't tell without shooting them. I guess I don't really expect much for that price, but I am assuming they should be okay for bird hunting. I imagine that they are on the quality of a Stoeger type shotgun. So I was wondering if any of you guys have purchased any CZ side by sides. And what are your thoughts about them? Thanks for any opinions.

If you have seen them in stores then you know how they feel, but for me, they are too heavy, balanced poorly (muzzle heavy), and have swells in their barrel profiles to accommodate choke tubes. "for the money", I think used guns like the Ithaca SKB's beat them badly. And even a nice English gun from someone like @battle will throw shade on the CZ every time.

But that's just my opinion. I've only handled the 12 gauge Bobwhites.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago, a Canadian did an in depth comparison of the Bobwhite 28 and 20 ga versus a Brit 20 ga. Evans (I think that was the gun) and was not surprised to read that the Evans was superior in quality and balance. However the 28 ga. CZ was very close in most attributes. At the time the CZ was close to $1000 Canadian in cost. This didn't reflect the actual LGS price but was suggested retail. The link is no longer operative. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
Originally Posted by Chantry
Originally Posted by Bluestem
The quality is better than a Stoeger.

Damning with faint praise...

I've been a Cowboy action shooter for 25+ years, I've seen a lot of new and used entry level SxS guns (Stoegers, Baikal's, TTN's, Stevens 311) in the under $1000 field.

I haven't seen a better shotgun than the CZ SxS in the under $1000 field and I can't think of a regularly available used SxS under $1000 that is better than the CZ. I own the Bobwhite G2 and know shooters who own their Hammer Classic, semi-auto and O/U and all are happy with the guns. The build quality of all them is better than one would expect for the price.

Not long ago I bought a used Ithaca SKB Model 150 12ga from a local gun store for $950. I thought that was a good price. Don't know if it was unusually good. But unless you have something against single triggers, I'd say that's a better gun than a CZ. But then maybe you won't find many of those--or comparable doubles--for under $1,000.

It probably is a better gun, but the Cowboy shooters found the SKB's and prices, that I have seen, are in excess of $2000 used and that's before the gunsmithing work to make them race guns.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It probably is a better gun, but the Cowboy shooters found the SKB's and prices, that I have seen, are in excess of $2000 used and that's before the gunsmithing work to make them race guns.

Interesting. I sold one a couple of years ago for $1000 ( the more desirable 27+" 20 gauge), and have another 25+" 20 gauge left to go. Good to know it's now a $2k gun, because I've never heard of $2000 SKBs nor of Cowboys cutting them down. They are good guns and 12s used to be abundant enough to be a nuisance when shopping for a 20. I haven't followed them in years, however.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
I have seen quite a few of these lately in the gun stores. The Sharptail and the Bob white. I have also been reading about them, but there are a lot of mixed reviews. For the price, I was wondering if they are okay. They look pretty nice but you can't tell without shooting them. I guess I don't really expect much for that price, but I am assuming they should be okay for bird hunting. I imagine that they are on the quality of a Stoeger type shotgun. So I was wondering if any of you guys have purchased any CZ side by sides. And what are your thoughts about them? Thanks for any opinions.

If you have seen them in stores then you know how they feel, but for me, they are too heavy, balanced poorly (muzzle heavy), and have swells in their barrel profiles to accommodate choke tubes. "for the money", I think used guns like the Ithaca SKB's beat them badly. And even a nice English gun from someone like @battle will throw shade on the CZ every time.

But that's just my opinion. I've only handled the 12 gauge Bobwhites.
I've seen them, but I never picked one up. The store near here had several of them on display a few months ago, but I just didn't pay that much attention to them. I guess I was more interested in the Model 21 that was on consignment next to them. But you are probably right. I should maybe just stick to getting my next 21? Ya think? Thanks.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I know it’s silly, but I just don’t like the black paint finish on the ones I’ve seen. I know it’s not paint…

They may work perfect and be great bad weather guns. I’m just at a phase in life where I want wood and blued steel. A SxS is a classic and I prefer a classic finish.

All that said, if I found a great deal on one I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up.

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Edm1
I know it’s silly, but I just don’t like the black paint finish on the ones I’ve seen. I know it’s not paint…

They may work perfect and be great bad weather guns. I’m just at a phase in life where I want wood and blued steel. A SxS is a classic and I prefer a classic finish.

All that said, if I found a great deal on one I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up.
I agree 100%. I would rather have blued steel. Even the silver receiver on my Beretta is great. But, I'm not a fan of black receivers any more than black wheels on a car. (I'm a chrome guy) (I hope that comment doesn't tick somebody off. I already had KY Jon run down my bellbottom pants for cryin' out loud. ) But yeah, I'm with you on the blued receivers. Take care.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 09/01/23 02:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To do a quick price check on Ithaca SKBs, I pulled up Guns International. With the exception of one dealer and a couple other guns, most of the rest were priced under $2,000. A few even came in under $1,000, with a couple beating the $950 I paid for my 12ga 150.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.