Tucker and I dodged the heat this morning. Lucy is retired, again. On the hill at 8am and promptly realized I was hunting Blues again after I slipped and face planted into a Russian Thistle. Not long afterwards we moved a nice big covey right where I figured they would be. No shots taken on the initial flush due to low flying birds and the position of Tucker. A slacker bird flushed way out and I missed twice. Reloaded and a bird was barreling down hill and on top of my before I knew it, missed once incoming and again going away. Yup....hunting Blues. Tuck and I climbed the rocky ridge looking for singles, no love. We descended and I watched him hit scent out in front of me, the birds flushed behind me and I missed them twice as they were barreling down hill. Ahead of us a bird flushed from a pine well out of range, as I approached another flushed still too far out. A third bird from the same pine flushed, this time well within range giving me a nice easy going away shot..I finally connected. Tucker made a nice retrieve and we caught our breath and took a drink. It was starting to really warm up. I knew two more birds should be on the top of the ridge somewhere. Not much farther ahead a bird flushed from a tree and my only chance was to bend down and try a shot under a branch that was obstructing my view. I tickled that bird, not hit hard but definitely hit. Tucker did not see the bird land but picked up the trail right away. A short chase through the underbrush and we now had our second bird. Back at the truck by 8:50 and covered in sweat. A fine way to start the season.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

First day shooting my new to me C.S. Rosson.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns