Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by LGF
If hundreds of dead eagles have been found and reported, then thousands have died in the wilderness and never been found. Much of my lion conservation work in East Africa in the last 25 years has been on poisoning and we know that only a small fraction are found, reported, and documented. Populations of lions and all other predators and scavengers, especially vultures, have plummeted due to poisoning but relatively few carcasses ever come to the attention of the people who are counting.

I agree, entirely. But eagles continue to grow their populations at amazing rates. As a population-level impact, lead poisoning seems to be relatively unimportant. That's not the case for condors, of course, and maybe other species. But since waterfowl has become non-tox only, it seems that population consequences of lead are not particularly great.

Who says you get to choose, what is relatively unimportant, or are you not giving LGF the latitude of a little sensationalizing. Do you two peas in a pod want to play on heartstrings. I have a great idea, let's construct the biggest human feces and drug paraphernalia cess pool in the streets of kalifornia, but entitle the kali condor to cost is no barrier, elite level ocare.