Originally Posted by Vall
Originally Posted by waterman
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
If that false muzzle is meant to start a groove diameter bullet and engrave the rifling, do you have a leveled bullet starter? They don't seat by popping a push starter with your palm.

I have 2 false-muzzle rifles. Both false muzzles are smooth bored groove diameter deep enough to seat a groove-diameter bullet, either patched or lubed, with your fingers. But both my false muzzles are made to allow the bullet seater guide to slide over the false muzzle, keeping things aligned. Vall didn't show us the starter part of his false muzzle.

The false muzzle on this rifle is tapered. So the entrance has almost no rifling, but by the time it mates to the muzzle it's full rifling. I have slugged the bore, and using a bullet I have that's correctly sized to this groove, I can push the bullet about halfway into the false muzzle easily. So it's easily pushed into the bore with a starter I happen to have that fits this false muzzle by chance. The starter is a Pope that I bought from a friend, just because, and thought I might be able to someday use, so it's getting used now. It seats the bullet a good 2" or more into the barrel, so no issues with any crooked starting.
I have a Schoyen Ballard in .38-55 with the same false muzzle barrel setup, and like this rifle, the false muzzle is also tapered on it. I own the original Schoyen mold also, and that bullet seats just about flush by hand, with maybe less than 1/8th inch of the 315 gr. bullet above the false muzzle before starting it.

What hardness or alloy are your bullets? Mine is also tapered over about a 2.5 or 3" distance. But no way, I can seat a groove diameter bullet. My lands are quite narrow, being Pope styled, so not much lead needs to be displaced. My bullets are paper patched however.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]