Daryl,

It is true that a lot of guns have flats in the checkering. It is also true that lots of them dont. I did not intend to imply that every checkering pattern is taken so far as to point up the diamonds.

To point up or not to point up is going to depend on the gun, the current state and level of originality desired.

Many of the older guns I have checkered were done as described, starting with a 60 degree tool and finishing with a 90 degree tool and left with nice consistent flats, just as new. The 60 degree tool would not have cut to the proper width without cutting way deeper than appropriate. If the appropriate treatment is just a narrow scribed line a 60 degree tool alone could be all you need.

It is also not unreasonable to refinish wood and rechecker a favorite gun (that is not a rare collector item) to a better than new condition. That is the owners perogative.

Bill, one day I'll get a couple of bent files and try them. Lots of guys like them....

John, I always loved the feel of nice sharp checkering in the hand, but I've got a couple of old blue collar workhorses that convinced me that no checkering is a fine thing too. Here is one I removed the (crappy) checkering from to get it back to the way it left the factory

Example:

Jeff

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mull; 10/23/07 09:31 PM.

Jeff