Some here will think that I am kidding but 100K , while it is a lot of money, will not buy you much of a investment grade collection. Very few or maybe three max. if you start with the big three from G.B.. High grade Parkers would quickly take the whole 100K fast if they are in real high grade and high condition.

I think that guns are one of the poorer investment for an investment sake. Stocks, bonds, real estate are far better in holding or gaining value over time.

Mint or high grade guns are like virgins. They cost a lot because they are rare, but if you screw around with them or just use them, they quickly loose their value. Hard to buy guns and not want to use them unless they are not what you want to shoot in the first place.

So I would suggest that he stick to a theme collection. Maybe all small bore Parkers, Fox, Smiths, LeFevers, Lidners or the like. Focous on a very limited collection of mid priced guns and it will look impresive and be a real challenge to collect. Buy a few that he will shoot and others that will remain virgins.

I also think that mid level gun prices will have more of a chance to go up than top level grade guns prices. Also the chance of being burned on a high dollor gun is greater than being burned on several mid level price guns for the same amount of money.