I am a sitting director on the board of an electric cooperative (EMC), and have been for some 25+ years. As such, I have been privy to information that has helped me to understand the changes in electrical generation technology. Electric vehicles are here, and they are here to stay, IMO. They may not seem "reasonable" now, but they will be. They will eventually be economical. The storage of electricity is the big issue. How to make batteries lightweight as possible and as long lasting as possible, is where one great technological push is right now. Strides are being made, and more are to come. Storage of electricity is absolutely the big thing, not only for vehicles but for wind turbine farms and solar farms as well. Solar panels (and wind turbines to a lesser degree) only produce electricity during the daylight hours, but there are loads that need large amounts of electricity at night (factories, etc.). So, storage of that current that is produced by the sun during the day needs to be available 24/7. I have seen the cost of solar power go from exorbitant rates to rates, per kw/h, that are under the cost of coal powered. But! ...... it cannot totally replace fossil fuel generated electricity at this time.

As a farmer who irrigates I have made the switch, from pumping units that were powered by diesel and LP gas, to all electric units. Electric power is clean, economical and dependable (ice storms, hurricanes and tornadoes aside). I welcome and embrace electric powered vehicles. If I live long enough I may even run electric powered farm tractors and other equipment.

Personally, and maybe surprisingly, I think that coal is the most economical way to generate electrical power for decades to come. There is an over-abundant supply, and the infrastructure is in place to utilize it. But, it is not to be, it seems, due to political extremism. Too large a segment of our society has bought into the mantra that wind and solar is sufficient for the needs of America in the future, and that coal fired plants will bring about the demise of humankind due to pollution, etc. There will be many paradigm shifts before solar and wind totally replaces fossil fuels, if ever. The price of natural gas, as a direct result of fracking, is at the lowest it has ever been. Natural gas generates a significant percentage of America's electrical needs. Therefore, the local price of electricity is much lower than it would have been had not the fracking processes been developed.

May God bless America and those who defend her.