I've been shooting bismuth reloads for nearly twenty years at ducks. I have settled on 1 1/4 oz. at 1250 as my favorite bismuth load. It's normally used in my big Fox HE grade, which has extremely tight chokes, and is the hammer of Thor. It is the only gun and load I've ever had to take a clean 6 duck limit with 6 shells.

How far it will kill a duck (cleanly) is a question not easily answered. It depends on the size of the duck, and the "presentation", i.e., is it settling into the dekes, is it an incomer, is it pass shooting crossers, or is it flying straightaway? Why the presentation matters is because some views hide the vitals, such as a straightaway shot in the rear, and some offer all the vitals and wingbones to the shooter, such as an overhead incomer. It also depends on the amount of choke you're working with in a particular gun, and how the load patterns in it. Because of so many variables I would not want to offer an answer in yardage. But, I will say this ...... with the proper choke and load 1 1/4 oz. of bismuth 4s will dishrag a big mallard drake farther than most of the people I've shot with in my life can hit them.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.