Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
However, growing up I hunted almost anywhere I wanted around here, traveling by bicycle with a .22 or a shotgun or a Brit .303 jungle carbine across the handle bars. That is what is not possible anymore.

Was I more free then or now? I think then. And I don't know how to go back...Geo

I used to walk down to the Andover (CT) Elementary School with a .22-250 around 7AM, before buses arrived in the AM. I'd lay down on the playground steps and shoot woodchucks while the principal watched. I'd also walk up and down the road, sometimes carrying chucks (trophies) home from local hayfields. Bringing my Dad's A5 to school on the bus, I'd later go home with a friend on a different bus for after-school grousing. This was completely normal. The A5 stayed in the principal's office, of course, during school hours.

I sometimes imagine the repercussions should some kid try to pull that off in that locale today.

I was more free then, too. And I don't see a way back, either. I've moved my family to the outer edges of the empire, as determined by economic feasibility for my occupation. I can't see where I can go when this area is eventually ruined and wussified.

Sam